E-Brake Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: E-Brake Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:22 am:

I bought my ‘22 roadster from an old farmer/machinist about 30 years ago. He said that he assembled it mostly from three T’s, ’21, ’22 & ’23 and other parts that he had laying around plus some repro parts and some that he made himself.

I just replaced the steel e-brake shoes with lined ones. The originals held the car OK but I wanted something that would work better if an axle broke or whatever.

The problem is that I had to adjust the clevis ends to their max and now there is no room for further adjustment. Looking at page 78 of the 2015 Lang’s catalog it is obvious that the car has the ’09-‘17 style brake rods and clevises.

I think the easiest solution would be to shorten the clevis end of the brake rods and extend the threads a bit. Problem is that I think that the rods might have a non-standard thread. If I could find a die for this that would probably be my choice. Does anyone know what size die to use?

Any other/better suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:38 am:

It's a standard thread, I did it with a die from a UNF kit - I'd say it's 5/16"-24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Robert,

I don't think it's a non-standard thread, but it is a fine pitch that is a bit less common. I'm guessing 5/16-24.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

I've never tried them but they sell bushings that slide over those brake cams to make up for wear. I think I'm going to try some because I have the same problem. I can take the wheel off and pull the brake lever and the cams turn as far as they can without flipping over. I have the lined shoes abd they will hold the car if it is already stopped but they won't lock up if the car is moving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Thanks for the info on which die is needed. I need to do this too. I'm actually quite impressed with my trans brake but, my parking brake is a bad joke and is trying to kill me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

There is a dogleg bend in the rods so they clear the radius rod. Over the years extended use of the e brake will naturally pull the dogleg out of the rod, thus making it longer. If the bends are re-formed it will help shorten the rod a bit.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Thanks Roger and Jerry

I have a 5/16-24 tap and a die in my old tap and die set. The tap starts smoothly into the clevis and it's jam nut but it jams up at about 3/16". The die does the same thing on the brake rod. The parts were soaked in a mixture of ATF and acetone. I'm afraid to cut into them.

The brakes are adjusted to my satisfaction now but I'm concerned about when they need readjusting. Considering my age and how little I drive the car perhaps I should just leave well enough alone.

Thanks again, Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

The rods are not as round as you think they would be so you need to work the die back a little at a time but it can be done. The rear parking brakes should be set so they fully lock up about 4 clicks back from the handle being vertical (both sides being the same). Having properly working parking brakes is part of the general maintenance and safety of operating the car. Does not matter what your age is, do it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 06:57 am:

Mark

Yesterday I took the car out on a chip seal road surface and it was easy to leave some rubber on the road. The car didn't swerve at all. There were still a lot of clicks left on the ratchet. When jacked up the wheels are real hard to turn and when the lever is straight up and they are totally locked after two more clicks. As I seldom use these brakes except for parking they should last a long time as is. I don't often drive this car as I have a '27 touring which gets a lot more use.

I still plan to fix it as you suggested.

Thanks, Robert

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration