Are there any current tires that are made in the USA?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Are there any current tires that are made in the USA?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 11:21 am:

I want to know if any currently made Model T tires are made in the USA. There have been all kinds of claims on here about this. Some say there are tires made in the U.S., whereas others maintain that all the tires are made in a factory in Viet Nam.
My suspicion is that they are all made in Viet Nam and stamped with different "period correct" manufacturers, "Firestone", "Riverside", etc. with the appropriate tread pattern and then sold by the U.S. vendors.
My experience: I bought a set of 4 "Firestones" from Lang's, and when they arrived, the were wrapped with tape that said "Made in Viet Nam".
I don't think they were even remotely connected to Firestone.
Nevertheless, I would like to know if there are any tires being made here. (I don't want to pay $660 ea. for Dunlop tires made in the UK!)
Thanks for any info.
Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 11:38 am:

No clincher tires are made in the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 11:45 am:

And for that.. only two major American-owned tire manufacturers exist: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. and Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. Each of them has multiple manufacturing plants in the U.S., the last "American owned" tire companies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Sorry Dan, Cooper Tire is now foreign owned according to my mechanic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

I bought my 21" Firestone's through Summit Racing and they are marked Made in the USA. I researched this and apparently they are produced in a plant in Pennsylvania.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Justin,

21" tires are not clincher tires. Jon bought clincher tires that were marked "Made in Vietnam" and he is asking if there are any tires like that manufactured here in the USA. The answer is still no.

There are some clincher tires being made in India and great Britain. Those are your only choices other than Vietnam for clincher tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

Royce,
Yes, my tires are 30x3.5" clinchers. I should have mentioned that. They are on my '14 runabout.
So far the only problem is that they bleed brown gooey stuff. The tires are labeled "Gum Dipped" what ever that means. My tendency is to clean it off, but Steve Lang tells me that it should be left on the tire as it helps to prevent cracking.
Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Bob

Your mechanic may just have heard latest news, and you got misinformed, Cooper is USA owned!

Cooper is buying majority interest in a China tire company. Cooper is indeed USA owned, on the NY stock exchange, symbol CTB.

FINDLAY, Ohio, Jan. 6, 2016 – Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: CTB), a global tire design, manufacturing and marketing company, today announced that it has entered into an agreement to purchase a majority of China-based Qingdao Ge Rui Da Rubber Co., Ltd. (GRT). Cooper will own 65 percent of the entity, which will be renamed Cooper Qingdao Tire Co., Ltd. (CQT), for approximately 600 million RMB or $93 million USD including the acquisition and initial investments in the operation. The transaction is expected to close during the first half of 2016 pending certain permits and approvals by the Chinese government.

About Cooper Tire & Rubber Company

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: CTB) is the parent company of a global family of companies that specializes in the design, manufacture, marketing and sale of passenger car and light truck tires. Cooper and its subsidiaries also sell medium truck, motorcycle and racing tires. Cooper’s headquarters is in Findlay, Ohio, with manufacturing, sales, distribution, technical and design operations within its family of companies located in more than one dozen countries around the world. For more information on Cooper, visit www.coopertire.com, www.facebook.com/coopertire or www.twitter.com/coopertire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Dan,
The question is: Does Cooper make 30x3.5 clincher tires in the USA?
I don't think so.
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

Yes, I realize that 21" tires aren't clinchers. I was simply answering the question that didn't specify what type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Jon
I am currently trying to make a Model T clincher tire purchase decision.
Royce recommended I contact Neal Tuckett in the UK about obtaining a set of the quality $660 bespoke Dunlop Chevron clinchers. Neal replied the factory that made these tires has been shut down and the molds for the tires have gone missing.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

While no clincher tires are now USA made and apparently differ only in brand, not in quality, it would make sense to me to use whichever ones meeting my aesthetic wishes are sold at the lowest price. With Firestone NON SKID retailing at $264 and Wards Riverside at $151, a car I intend to drive a lot of miles will get the Wards.

Jon, I believe the new clinchers are exact reproductions in appearance if not in manufacture. The "Gum Dipped" on your tires is a feature of the original tires (don't ask me what it means). This old ad shows it on balloon tires, but it was also used on clinchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Osburn on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Bought 4 21" Excelsior tires 4 years ago. Didn't know anything about them,but was told by the vendor " they are the best tire made in India". Always would prefer to buy American, but am pleased with these, they were cheaper & after about 5000 miles show hardly any wear. They are hard to mount even for a 21" as they are a very stiff beefy tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Ron, what I have seen in products from India. They try to make quality and often succeed. In China, they try not to make quality and often succeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

I bought the firestone in 19s last year and they say made in the usa from cokers in Chattanooga,tn for my model A but they $870+. I need advice. I am going with whatever you guys best suggestion is for cheap tires for my 26 wire wheels. Cant waste a bunch of money.The car isn't on the road but I need tires. The wheels were just fresh back from the paint shop. I also need it rolling for storage reasons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

For your '26 with 21" wire wheels, the best value is a set of Lucas 4.40-4.50 x 21 @ $99 each.

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/440-450-21-LUCAS-Olympic-Tread-Blackwall-344p.h tm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 03:26 am:

I wonder if these are actually made in Europe?

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/440-450-21-European-Classic-Blackwall-EU45021bw .htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:29 am:

I think Gum Dipped just means they are made out of Bubble Gum?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Let your imagination think this through:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19270510&id=sBFAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=g6 QMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4365,3726877&hl=en

1927 Newspaper ad..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 11:33 am:

There are no clincher tires made in the USA. There will not be any because according to Coker they cannot pass DOT regulations for safety. Makes sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joss sanderson on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

Constantine - The Lucas 21" tyres are indeed made in Europe. Not sure why anyone would not be happy with Firestone 21" that are made in USA. If you balance them with balancing beads - Langs or Snyders - you can get upwards of 12000miles on a tyre.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration