OT Memories erased in a moment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Memories erased in a moment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

I just read in today's newspaper that Yosemite is to change some of the parks iconic names. Ahwahnee Hotel will become Majestic Yosemite Hotel.
Curry Village will become Half Dome Village. Wawona Hotel will become Big Trees Lodge, and Badger Pass Ski Area will become Yosemite Ski & Snowboard Area Yosemite Lodge will be the Yosemite Valley Lodge.

I have been going to Yosemite since 1945 and my parents and grandparents before me as well as my children and grandchildren. The names of the familiar places will all be changed at the stroke of a pen (computer). This is because of a lawsuit by the former concessions company who claimed ownership of the iconic names.

This case should be thrown out of court. The names should remain with the park, not with a hired company!!!!!!!

I have driven a Model T to the park on two different tours. The places will still be there, but how can we describe them to people who have not been there?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Some of those original names sound Native American, perhaps one of the tribes will counter-sue the concessions company for stealing THEIR names! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

I don't know all the legal ramifications of this problem, but I completely agree with you Norm. Common sense (not so common I guess) pins those names to the park not the concessionaire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

and how much taxpayer's money will be wasted on this change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

Mark, your comment brought this recent Facebook post to mind....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

I guess it comes with our new feel good age. Look for the lawsuit from Black
Lives Matters demanding the Bureau of Land Management change their name
and pay reparations, and force the gov't into naming these places Q'ondell's
Crib, L'Detria's Lodge, ... d'Ron's Ski Bowl ?

No wut om sain', Dog ?

Excuse me, Sir, can you tell me where America has gone ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

LOL! Thanks, Dick.

We're all immigrants or descendants of immigrants, aren't we?

Even native American immigrated a long time ago across the arctic land bridge.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Norm: What ever judge of what ever court should be impeached for allowing this Name change. As you say these names have been here for many years and that is the way it should stay. Just my own opinion. Next thing is some dork ball will try and change Sequoia Park to some other name that does not apply to the park. Thank you and everyone have a great weekend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

They may need to change the name of the park all together.

quote:

DNCY also trademarked the phrase 'Yosemite National Park.' The National Park Service is currently in litigation in part over these trademarks, service-marks, and other intellectual property.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

The names were there before the concessionaire started; LOGIC says the names belong to the park This is just STUPID!!
Is this something else brought to us by the 9th CIRCUS court?
Time to post your disgust with this to the NPS director, Jon Jarvis, at: Jon_Jarvis@nps.gov
And the company doing all this is Delaware North, who has been systematically copyrighting many Names of American Icons, including the prhase, "Space Shuttle Atlantis." Now, why the copyright office has approved these applications fails me, but this company does NOT have the best interests of the American Public at heart, and is, IMHO, stealing our heritage. They even copyrighted "Yosemite National Park"! I would send them a nasty note too! http://www.delawarenorth.com/contact-us/contact-us-form. By copyrighting all those names & phrases, they are not sharing America's heritage, they are stealing it!
As to taxpayers' monies being wasted, it's not only the signs on the buildings themselves, it is also ALL the directional signs in the park, all the brochures and maps. . and on and on!

David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I read this morning also with disgust... Those hotels will stay the same name for me.

BUT you have to wonder about the people that signed or allowed the contract with the previous company to give them the rights to the name?

Thanks David, everyone send off an email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

The email to Delaware north did not go thru

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Seems that names and terms have built in expiration dates. Some longer than others, but the fact remains, someone will eventually come up with some compelling reason, usually that they or someone else are 'offended', and the name or term will have to be changed. That's not exactly the case here, but Lord knows it certainly goes on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Gene I just tried it by clicking on the link in my posting and I got to the "contact Us" form. They really like to filter their email!
Gee, I wonder why? Others I've talked to tell me that they are impossible to work with, more bureaucratic than the Feds!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

This is the message I sent to Delaware North:
I find your lawsuit against the National Park Service to retain what you believe are your copyrights to the names of the sites in the Yosemite part to be a travesty of justice. These places were name long before you became the concessionaire, and you merely had permission to use the names. You are STEALING America's heritage with your actions, and they are NOT in the Public's interest.
Please do the right thing and cease and desist.
David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Hal is correct either people get offended by everything now or someone is profiting from the name changes... TIM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

As I understand it, this is a copyright matter. If so, it is therefore strictly a money issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

Remember a music band that copyrighted a certain number seconds of silence a couple decades ago? Completely absurd, and downhill ever since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Let me be the first to say "I am offended !"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 03:17 am:

A rose by any other name ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 11:56 am:

You're right Jim about the rose, however what if someone who has had a memorable experience at Yosemite wants to tell their friend who has not been there, and the friend cannot find the location because the name has changed? You see when I was 9 years old my dad and I hiked from Camp Curry to Glacier Point. We saw the location from which a fire was dropped to a ledge below and the next night while we were there they dropped a fire off the point which was visible to the people at Camp Curry. (they don't do the firefall anymore). I want to tell my children about the location where we camped in a tent. They go looking for Curry Village and only find Half Dome village. Actually Curry village is closer to Glacier Point than to Half Dome. Or someone who stayed in one of the hotels had a fabulous experience and tell others about it and the others can't find the location.

So you see it is true that a rose by another name is still a rose, but suppose someone is looking for a rose and finds a dandylion They don't know which one is a rose, because the name has changed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Only in America,

For a number of years now in Seattle we celebrate "Blue Friday", schools businesses, government agencies, mayors, even the Governor and the legislature have authored proclamations all in favor of the Seattle Seahawks and blue Friday, during the season.

A grade school in the Seattle now has a new Principal from Washington DC. He has now decided this school can no longer celebrate "Blue Friday, because some students many be offended because they might not like the Seahawk's. So as to not to offend anyone the celebration will not be permitted anymore. He does not want to cause a potential law suit.

I wonder where this all will stop, Washington State now has unisex bathrooms allowing any gender to use the facility. Go figure. This because of a damn law suit.

We had to cancel Christmas trees and decorations in the Seattle Tacoma airport because someone threatened to sue because there were no place for Quansa or a manora, another damn law suit.

Where does this all stop? These frivolous law suits just burn millions of dollars of our tax money just to prove a point. The United States is the only country that does not require a person wanting to sue to put up either a cash bond or advance money to perpetrate a law suit. Here anyone can sue with no up front money. In most other countries of the world if the person instigating a law suit looses they are required to pay court costs and the legal fees of the other side.We need to change this to stop these time wasting court clogging pay off law suits.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

just sayin,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

But here's the fly in the ointment ... America is ABOUT money, and if this generates money,
then it is going to be seen by a certain group of people as perfectly fine.

I used to see our constitution as a good thing. I have come to see its limitations and areas
left open for abuse. I'd like to see "no cruel and unusual punishment" replaced with "A punishment
matching the crime. Steal someone's money, ... forced labor at minimum wage until it's repaid.
Run someone over with your car, get run over with a car, brutally rape and kill a child, be brutally
raped and killed.

No, ... I take that back. Some counseling sessions to root out the perpetrator's inner self are
probably going to make things all right again. :-P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

Dandelions are pretty in there own way too! Both the rose and dandelions can be made into wine. :-)
I am sure that there are a number of us that have never been to Yosemite and the names are just names but even so, I understand what your saying. On the other hand there are far more important things to worry about in this world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

It won't stop. Because 50 years from now the result of today's law suit will be changed to fit the suit of that time frame. Stupidity is growing at a fast pace now that common sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

I forgot to ask my question.
Are these folks going to copyright our names so we can't sign them anymore without a lawsuit? If you think about it,they could shut you out of your bank account,off your property and all because if they own the rights to your name,you could not sign legal documents proclaiming ownership?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

It IS all about money, and it is blackmail! It will most likely come down to finding that it is less expensive to pay a licensing fee to use the names than to change all of the signs, maps, etc. That is the goal here. Just like when someone copyrighted the Happy Birthday song so that anytime it was sung in movies, TV, etc. a royalty had to be paid. Delaware North is banking on the fact that no one will want to change the names or that it will be too costly to do so. The names are useless to them otherwise. Will they use the names elsewhere? Will there be a Yosemite National Park somewhere else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

It won't stop unless someone stops them. The same company got the concessions at Old Town San Diego State Park. This was the first settlement in San Diego. Several buildings were named for the first settlers. One of which was Casa Bandini A restaurant was located there several other places were old favorites. When the company took over the restaurants were evicted. The Casa Bandini moved to another city nearby. The house is re-named.
Anyway, I guess I am just old and set in my ways. I must be like the man who bought several Model T's when the Ford Company changed to Model A because he didn't want to learn to shift gears!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Brasscarguy,
You are so right about frivolous lawsuits. Some years back a guy sued my folks for a million dollars. He had NO case (even the judge agreed), but my folks had to hire a lawyer to defend them because a million dollars was at stake!
I sent an email about this to a lot of folks on my email list; my cousin came back with, "It's their right to expect compensation for the use of their property." She's a bit of a hard-nose, although we all love her. She also said it's another example that the government doesn't know how to run a business & it's the NPS' own fault (That, actually, is probably true!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Interesting..

http://www.delawarenorth.com/about/family-leadership/jeremy-m-jacobs

Which led to this:

http://www.nps.gov/partnerships/YOSEfund.htm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration