1913 Johs Manville speedometer parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1913 Johs Manville speedometer parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

I have a good speedometer head but need a drive gear and wheel gear. Can anyone post some pics of what they look like. Johns Manvillw speedometers dont work with Stewart gears do they???
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Hi David. There is not much out there on the web is there? You may have found this already.

http://antiquespeedometer.com/partinventory.php?cat=09d6acc298f7319fa2d9ab309b9b bd4f&item=EF3831A5-2B32-3679-FD172AB05C8E91C9

I know Dodge and Harleys used them too.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Which one do you have?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Thanks Richard.We do want to come visit you one day.
Ken l have the 0 - 60 full round version.
Not on the top half.
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

David, I had a real nice JM head I wanted to install on my 14. Got the cable, gears, drive head and holder new from Langs. I did have to turn a bit off my hub so the big gear would fit and had to find a spindle arm with two holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 07:55 am:

Hi David,
The J-M speedometer was introduced in late 1914 and was offered on Fords and other cars. There are two distinct set of drive gears. The Ford Special gears are a 35T8P road gear with a 12T8P pinion. The other gear set uses a 64T9P road gear with a 17T9P pinion gear. Both gear sets use a direct drive arrangement, so there is no requirement for a swivel joint, although J-M did offer a swivel joint with a 1:1 ratio also.

I hope this helps.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 09:38 am:

This is the Johns Manville Ford Special speedometer. I believe these were mainly used in the 1915 model year, becoming available perhaps as early as the fall of 1914 and installed on Model T's at the factory through about August 1915.

The Johns Manville speedometer used the "Ford Special" drive, as did all other 1915 factory installed speedometers. Here is a photo of an original Johns Manville drive, with a reproduction bronze mounting arm from Lang's used to support the drive:

Of course all this stuff will work fine on any year Model T, including your 1913 David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 09:42 am:

By the way, Stewart also made a Ford Special drive assembly, as did Johns Manville, Sears Cross, Standard Thermometer, and Jones during 1915. Any of those 1:1 drive assemblies work fine with any of the 1915 Ford Special style speedometers. Many of these companies continued to sell similar speedometers and drives for years afterward as accessories when Ford stopped installing speedometers at the beginning of the 1916 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Royce, did you forget the spacers in back of the wheel gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Larry,
Not all F/S gears had spacers.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Thanks everyone.
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 06:26 am:

and to add a little more, in 1915, the hub was machined to accept the gear and thus sets the distance from the hub, negating the need for spacers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 11:56 am:

If anyone needs the 17T9P fiber gear, I have several NOS.

a

pp

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration