1926/27 big drum rear end under earlier car spring mount question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926/27 big drum rear end under earlier car spring mount question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

I am in the process of going through a 26/27 rear end to put under my 21. I am going to try out an idea(s) on making RM's stop better in reverse. What I would like to know is, using the current spring how much will the rear be lowered using the 1926/26 type spring mounts on the backing plates? If they drop the back of the car too much can I use the earlier style?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

First off find orginaly RM brakes
Repop don't stop worth crud on a hill I suggest using the stock E brake
As far as the spring goese I used 26/7 rear with earlier ever tappered spring with no issues

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

I have a 27 axle with the 27 spring in my 21. I cannot tell there is a difference. I did remove a couple of spring leaves, which lowered the rear about 1/2". The spring came from a coupe, and I have a touring. Now the 27 spindles, and 27 front spring lower the front of the car about an inch and three quarters. I can't help it, it is the latent hot rodder coming out in me.
One of my friends has the repop RM's on his 26, they came mounted on the car when he bought it. So far he has experienced none problems I read about here in the forum. I have driven the car and it stops well. His brake in the trans is adjusted properly, and so far there have been no issues rolling back on a hill.
I have Surestop discs on my car, and yes I know it still has the skinny tires, and they are only on one axle, but they are worth it for driving in traffic (cannot always avoid it in the city)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

I have a 27 axle with the 27 spring in my 21. I cannot tell there is a difference. I did remove a couple of spring leaves, which lowered the rear about 1/2". The spring came from a coupe, and I have a touring. Now the 27 spindles, and 27 front spring lower the front of the car about an inch and three quarters. I can't help it, it is the latent hot rodder coming out in me.
One of my friends has the repop RM's on his 26, they came mounted on the car when he bought it. So far he has experienced none problems I read about here in the forum. I have driven the car and it stops well. His brake in the trans is adjusted properly, and so far there have been no issues rolling back on a hill.
I have Surestop discs on my car, and yes I know it still has the skinny tires, and they are only on one axle, but they are worth it for driving in traffic (cannot always avoid it in the city) there is a picture of how my car sits in my profile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Something about red and black! :-) Doug yours looks good. I am worried that with stock 21 front axle/spring that the rear will look too low using the big drum axle and perches, that why the question. Duh guess I could measure the center line of the axle to center line of the perch and find out the differences, if any. The only real bummer is I will be losing my Hasslers doing this and going back to Bouncing Nelly! :-)

(Message edited by redmodelt on January 15, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:03 am:

The lowering in the rear on 26/27 cars is in the rear crossmember, not in the axle - it'll sit just like the original. The 09-25 rear perches moves the axle part of the shackle mount up a bit, while the larger backing plates on the 26/27 rear end made it possible for Ford to use a simpler straight perch on the 26/27 while the shackle mount still is in the same position relative the wheel. The rear springs were the same 1918-27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Cool this is the info I was looking for. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration