U joint new guy questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: U joint new guy questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

Anyone have a pic of a good u joint versus a bad joint. In modern cars get loose. What am I looking for in excessive wear on my T joint? Thanks in advance. If this stuff for T s is like most A model stuff the factory parts are better than repop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Tim, i think you would be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference between a good u-joint and a bad one just from pictures, unless it totally failed, and then i think it would be obvious. I had a shudder when shifting into high which i attributed to a bad u-joint, when i had it out and tried to feel the the play by twisting and turning it in my hands i could almost feel nothing and thought i was wrong in my diagnosis. Then i clamped one end firmly in a vice and found there was considerable play in all directions. I replaced the joint and the shudder disappeared...Good luck, hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Ford Service book (para. 591) says if there is over .006" clearance between knuckle and ring, replace.

Also be certain the rivets are tight.

Clean well to inspect all surfaces carefully, cracks can appear too! The joint pictured had previous hammering of loose rivets, that never works, as this part was well gone probably before someone tried to 'tighten it up' with a big hammer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Tim
I have rebuilt U joints for my own use. A couple of items
1. The rings don't seem to wear.
2. The crosses certainly do. They have "centres" in them. This allows these to be welded up and remachined to like new condition.
4. As implied, loose rivets can not be successfully retightened. They can however be quite successfully replaced with new rivets. I don't feel that bolts can be a successfully used here
I hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

I found the same situation as John, the joint felt pretty good until one end was held solid in the vise, then the looseness became apparent.

My old U joint had play on the sliding drive side where it fits into the transmission output. There was a little bit on the driveshaft side too. I decided to buy a new U joint which has taken care of all the looseness. It is so tight in the transmission output that it will even require some dressing down to slide smoothly!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration