WTB versus WTF

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: WTB versus WTF
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 09:53 am:

I hope to save some folks some embarrassment later on down the road. I have seen WTF a couple of times here lately.

WTB means "want to buy"

In text messaging, WTF means "What the Fudge" only it ain't fudge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Wanted
T
Ford :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:02 am:

Want To Find

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Way Too Funny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

I guess I spend too much time around kids who seem to text and speak text constantly.

Weird Toenail Fungus

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Hmm, I thought, here at least, it was "Where To Buy" & "Where To Find."
But, I am getting sick of all the esoteric abbreviations in use in the regular world, for instance the "BOGO" sales ads. Especially since it ain't necessarily ""Buy One, Get One Free" sometimes it's "Buy One, Get One at 1/2 price," or some other discount.
K? WDH?
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

Not being around the texting world I still get a chuckle when I see "WTF" :-)
I think "What The Floss" has been around a lot longer then texting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

HAHAHAHAHA I'm like Tom, I see WTF and think it means what the fudge. I raised an eyebrow when I saw that other thread and wondered "What was he really intending cause surely it's not what I'm thinking."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

ROFL!

or for the older set:

RLFLACGU

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

I can't understand about half of the above?
Dc,&e, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

And if you do find it, then what?
Did you just want to know that it still exists?
Did you want to see a picture of it?
Did you want to trade for it or by it?

As Mother used to say: "Use your words."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

WTF...Water The Flowers....something I do when I'm too far from the house to make it to the bathroom :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Wayne, I have no idea what Keith's older set is, but my WDH was "We Done Here?"
And was meant in jest! (indigestion???)
PS, Want to come up, but weather & car fixin' has prevented it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael in northeast Indiana on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

As seen in the marina I'm at during the summer, boat name Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, of course they think it's funny, especially when hailing or being hailed over the radio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

Hmm I always thought it meant "Why The Fuss"....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

David-

ROFL - Rolling On Floor Laughing.

For the older set:

ROFL ACGU - Rolling On Floor Laughing And Can't Get Up.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Keith,
No wonder I didn't get it--you forgot the O!!
O-h my!!
However, I may not have figured out the Can't Get UP--I LIKE it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

Time to get out the Radio Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Badge :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

I don't know. I've been heard to mutter "What The F___" many times while restoring a T...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

What The Ford

and BFH, Big Forceful Hammer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

I'm surprised at you guys. No one has mentioned the original acronym from which WTF was derived..

In the very early days of voice radio, particularly for ships at sea, there was a concentrated effort to develop standard abbreviations and acronyms that were universally understood. Development of this common language was critical for clear understanding of messages. Since many of these early abbreviations were not always interpreted the same by all radio operators, often there was confusion. So, the very first acronym to achieve the much needed universal meaning was WTFO, or "What The F##k, Over".

My kids think I make this stuff up....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Bill, when you get really mad you go get the GBFH. Great Big Forceful Hammer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Back when CompuServe Forums were the principal place for people to communicate, there were lots of those acronyms. With no smileys, we had to use letters. So <g> was "grin" and <bg> was "big grin," On the Masonry Forum, we also used <bfg>, which stood for "big fraternal grin." (What did you think it meant?) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

SNAFU Situation Normal All Fuc#%@ Up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

I know that I am a strange person. Sorry, I was born that way. I have always found THAT word to be objectionable, and have never really used it. I do accept that it is widely used and sort of just filter it out. I have done a lot of work around construction where it was used in almost every sentence by almost everyone but me.

I do get a kick out of reading some of you other decent people trying to dance around the word. I love this website.

Jay, I love that decoder!

David D, Just give me a call any time you are coming up this way and have a little time to spare! Hopefully, I won't be out taking care of sick family again. I gotta get down and see your place, and Barney!
The Metz is somewhat buried, but still here. It IS in very poor condition.

Dc,&e, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

We had a saying in the army Fubar which describes a lot of things today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Fouled up beyond all recognition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:09 am:

Wayne,
In some ways we are sooo alike! I too, was raised to never use "that word" as it was/is disrespectful to women. I had an unusual childhood for one growing up in the 50/60s because my folks owned a resort and shared all the work; Dad could cook (although his specialty was breakfast)and Mom worked doing cabins and running the office, so I just figured both genders did stuff & a lot of times worked together.
Not to say I'm not sexist; I think we all are a bit & I'm lazy, so if someone thinks they should be doing something so I don't have to do it, well, FINE! OK, up to a point! :-)
There were a lot of strong women in Dunsmuir while I was growing up--Mrs. Lee taught 6th grade and was probably all of 4 feet tall; but when you were in Kindergarten, the word was out; DO NOT mess with Mrs. Lee! I have no idea how she got that reputation, she always seemed pleasant. Mrs. Day was High School English and was a former WAC Sargent--nope, don't mess with her! :-)
So, not to derail this thread, just wanted to explain why I too, do not use "that word."
BTW, I'm a Steamboat nut, and while onboard the boats, folks like me are called FRNs--FRIENDLY River Nuts--at least that's our story; the crew will tell you something else! And yes, it's become a badge of honor! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:09 am:

As a police officer we use. DWHUA. Driving with head up a**.Everyone runs across that guy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:23 am:

Not to "derail" this thread, but a thought just occurred to me David,.....a very good friend (originally from Seattle) of our family that lived up on Lopez Island in the San Juans where my folks lived, is someone that you, as a museum curator and also an "FRN", just might have known, or might at least have heard of. Ralph Hitchcock was somewhat of an authority on stern wheeler and side wheeler river boats and a master model-builder. Ralph built a large scale model of the J.M. White that was (and as far as I know, still is) in the Smithsonian. I remember distinctly how very interested he was in the series of 35mm photos I took of the Sprague, just a year or so before she burned. What a shame that was,....the Sprague set tow records on the Mississippi, some of which as far as I know still stand today. Anyway,....as I said,.... just thoughts that for some reason (maybe your steamboat comment) crossed my ever aging mind,....FWIW,.....harold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:34 am:

Harold,
Yes, not to derail this thread, but let's choke a stump for a few. . . :-)
I've hear of him, but don't think I ever met him. The J.M. White was quite a boat. The dining room of the American Queen is patterned after the JM's. -- note pic of some refugees from the Delta Queen sneaking lunch onboard while we were rafted with her.
Loss of the Sprague was tragic. Especially tragic is that she could have been restored, but some wag cut the hog rods, which buckled the hull and ended any hope of saving the boat. I think she held the record for wheel size too. you got to see her in person, I'm jealous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:25 am:

Yeah,...."wheel size"! That's one of my most vivid memories of the Sprague when we were aboard her in the summer of '72, two years before she burned.

I was impressed that the top half of the thirteen and a half foot diameter wheel was in the wheelhouse where the helmsman was, and the bottom half of the wheel was below the wheelhouse deck, where there were either one or two deckhands to "man" the bottom half of the wheel to help the helmsman above. Guess you could say she was "hand steered", but I guess it sometimes took as many as two extra pairs of hands, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:28 am:

Forgot to say, nice picture David. Your "better half" sure looks happy there,.....she must share your "steamboat enthusiasm"! Or, maybe she's laughing because you're taking a second shot because you forgot to remove the lens cap the first time, ha ha,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:24 am:

Gee, how'd you know THAT???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

SS J. M. White

White

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

Yep, that's a Well Stacked boat (Yes, that's where the expression came from). Fancy stacks were part of the marketing of a boat. Out here in the far west, our boats were very different, with the pilot house far forward and usually just a single stack aft of it. Our boats also had a lot more "freeboard;" that is the first deck was higher up from the waterline, mostly because of the rougher waters out here.

(I've lost track of the source of this picture, note Bay Bridge in background and the large numbers of people on deck, as this is a special daytime excursion for the DQ.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

You had better not use the "F" word around my wife.

She teaches Ethics at a NH College and she explains this during the first class of each semester.
She even goes as far as telling them that they will get a failing grade for class participation on any day that she hears them use it.
If she finds it in their final paper they will get a zero on it and most likely fail the class.

She explains that she wants to know what they THINK, not what they FEEL.

She is amazed that many of the kids don't know how to think.
They just go with what they have been told and what feels good.
By the end of the semester the students have been exposed to THINKING, and some say the her class changed their lives.

Don't use the other "F" either!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration