Better years for bigger guys

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Better years for bigger guys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

Hello all,
It's been a while since I have trawled these threads. But as always the T looms in my head. I am looking at 2 Touring models... A 1918 and a 1922. I have sat in the early (pre 1920) but never sat in post 1920.
I know that the seat was adjusted (lowered) post 1920... My question is which seat is better for 6'2" 235 lbs... I am pretty much even in height and don't have long legs arms or torso...
So unless I find a 21 or 22 to sit in I'm going to ask for your advice before I pull the trigger....
Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

1918 has a little higher seat and a smaller steering wheel. It therefore fits taller drivers a little better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

I am 6'3" 220 pounds. My first T is a 16 touring. I fit ok but do need to get out and stretch occasionally, but the wife also needs to stop for the powder room occasionally. My second car is a 27 speedster. I put the seat back where I wanted it. The third car is a 26 Fordor. I can wiggle in under that big steering wheel and fold my legs up into the cockpit and can actually drive the car well. I need to stop more often and by the end of a four or five day tour am pretty stiff and sore. We have been driving the 26 more because the wife's hair doesn't get messed up and it is dryer and warmer in poor weather. What we will do to keep the little lady happy! If you love driving a T, most anything will work, but as Royce said, the earlier cars are going to be better. A more customizable one like a speedster or depot hack would be best since you can put the seat wherever you need to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Perfect! Thanks for the info guys... side question:
What was done to the post 20 T's to lower the seat (and by how much and why, if the earlier versions where a bit more comfortable).
I take it the seat 'box' was shaved and the new oval fuel tank made to fit the space.
How much more was it lowered? and can one revert to raising the seat up a bit? I ask cause the 22 is in better condition than the 18... and one thing I have learned is that you always buy the best car you can afford...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

If the 18 isn't as good, maybe you could find a better pre-20 car. There are lots of T's around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Hello Steve, yep I'm looking for 1917 to 1920 Touring but the pickings are not that many... and some are way over my price or if they are good but over 1000 miles away! so I need to add the cost for transport... I have my sights on a 17... just waiting to hear from the owner, we are currently playing phone tag...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

I realize tourings are what you are looking at but my '22 coupe is 3" longer from dash to seat back.

FWIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Everyone is built differently. My dad was 6 feet tall and I never got over 5'8" but when we sat side by side on a bench, I was much taller than him. His height was in the legs and mine in the torso. Same way with weight. Some carry it differently from others.

So the best thing for you would be to try sitting in different cars until you find one the fits the best.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

I have a 24 Coupe and it seems to me that it has a little more room in the front seat than my 1919 Runabout and 1921 Touring.

Probably the reason why is the slightly larger cowl section of the coupe. It does have a little wider firewall than the 19 and the 21.

I'm 6'3" and have size 13 shoes.
I have the reverse pedal riser in all 3 of my cars and even though the front seat area seems tighter in the earlier T's the extension does really help in the slightly tighter area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Richard, yes I looked at the coupe about 10 years ago but then I went ahead and had 3 kids... ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Robert: I match your personal specs exactly. My T is a 15 touring. I have no problems with room whatsoever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Robert I see from your profile that you are "a builder and inventor"

Why not build a wood bodied T that fits you. Find a chassis that needs a body. Move the gas tank back a few inches and build around that. I teach Industrial Arts and a few years ago, we did just that. I advertised the pick up body that we built as "Sized for today's drivers" or something like that. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Build a depot hack and moved the seat back like Tom suggests. That's what we did as my girth is such that all of the rest of the cars leave a smiley face on my shirt front. With the hack, there is 4" of "belly" clearance and I can extend my legs straight out without touching the floor board. Really a fun car to drive for long distances. Short distances too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Boy oh boy, Robert; I know exactly what you're talking about. _I'm a big guy too and recently drove a plain, black Flivver (I forget the exact vintage) wherein there was absolutely no room for my feet, and the parking brake lever, located too far inboard, was placed perfectly to stick me in the back of my knee unless I tucked my leg under the steering wheel, which was difficult because the later-vintage wheels are larger. _There was no way for me to get comfortable in that car. _The owner was a slimmer, smaller fellow who could deal with the car's abominable ergonomics.

I've driven a few different vintages of the brass cars, all Tourings, and they were all a comfortable fit. _With the top down, your height becomes a non-issue.

I own a '15 and absolutely love it. _I sit tall in the saddle and with the top up, there's adequate headroom, but 99.9% of the time, I drive with the top down because that tremendously increases visibility and consequently, safety, in traffic. _I only needed to put the top up once, a couple of years ago, when caught in the rain on the way home from a car show. _Leg-room and foot-room in the front seat of a Tin Lizzie will never be considered luxuriantly abundant, but with regard to that, I'm quite comfortable in my '15.

I learned on a '14, which had a nice, wide dash and just a teensie bit more than sufficient foot-room. _I think it's one of the best cars to own because it has the antiquity of the cherry-wood dashboards, acetylene headlamps and square-cut cowl-lanterns, at the lowest possible price.

A few weeks ago, I got to ride in a really nice '12 Touring (the later model with the flat-sided, sheetmetal-sheathed body) and I didn't see much difference between that and my '15 where head and leg-room were concerned. _Earlier cars than that have less broad dashboards and I would guess from this, less side-to-side room for feet.

The brass Fords do generally cost more than the plain, black cars, but bargains do appear now and then. _A year ago, an absolutely gorgeous '15 Touring in my neck of the woods changed hands for an even ten-grand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

1920 was the year they went to the oval gas tank and lower seat. I'm tall and find my 1919 has plenty of room. As long as you stick to a car from the 1910s, you will be OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Tom, yes... builder and inventor...as I write this I am waiting for the 3D printer I just build to start running its first print... everything is heated but nothing is moving... I see more trouble shooting in my future!
As for building custom fitted T I thought about it early on, but I just love the look of the touring... I do have a few plans for it though... trust me I have been at this for over 10 years... I have gone from coupes to speedsters but always end up at the Touring.
Let see what the T gods have in store for me... Ah! printer just started working! Exciting!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration