Different cams and bearings?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Different cams and bearings?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John f. wilson on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

I am trying to find a better cam for a well worn engine. Will the early cam work in a later block if it has the correct front bearing for that cam. or are the blocks machined differently?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

You are correct all cams will fit as you have stated re front bearing. You need to also check the fit of the rear bushing and fit new if/as needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John f. wilson on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Thanks Mark That will give me some other options. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

Norfleet in Dallas can reground your original. They were quite reasonable when we dealt with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John f. wilson on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

I;m going to check with Chaffins about reground cams. I think the one I took out of the engine is worn beyond grinding and the other has pits in the bearing surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Find a good used cam and have Chaffin do their modified grind. I have one and it works very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

For a reground camshaft try Ford-N-More (aka Antique Auto Ranch) in Spokane. 1-800-327-1469

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John f. wilson on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

THanks for the info, I have new aluminum timing gear and reground cam with fit bearings coming from Chaffins, Price has gone up on regrinds but always get good service from Dave at Chaffins. Does Merith Mc ? still run Ford& more? I got parts from her in the80s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

A little late now but the photo below shows the difference in the cams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

John- No Marith Sold Ford-N-More after some health issues. She is retired and Living in North Idaho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John f. wilson on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Those are great photos! Thanks everyone for the good advice. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Green on Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Hi,

I pour and precision machine cam bearings. I offer standard size (.750) and .003 undersized for those that have worn cams. $65 each/ core required.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration