Model T and welding

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T and welding
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

I was reading the thread about the 09 mufflers when welding of the muffler shells was mentioned. Was anything on a Model T welded? A lot of rivets and solder but I can't think of anything welded. It seems like the left front body panel (with the dummy door) was spot welded to the quarter panel on my 14 runabout. At least that's how I put the 2 together when I replaced the front section, but nothing arc welded comes to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Horn wire tube is spot welded on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Many parts were welded. Ford Methods and the Ford Shops (1914) note with photos the spot welding on the mud guards (fenders), the front fender apron gusset is spot welded. The 'fender ribbon, the fender peak, and the fender apron are electrically welded.'

Contact studs in the commutator were electric welded.

A lot of forged assemblies were flame brazed or spot brazed too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Z , Candlewood Lake, CT on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

Wire wheels on '26 and '27 cars were welded and I believe the process used was a rather unique one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Nave on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 02:26 am:

I drive a lot of trails and dirt roads, as a result I have suffered many muffler troubles.
Now when I buy a new muffler I torch braze all of the seams completely "but not the muffler to the pipe" with a soft flame (not to crystalize the metal).
Results are a great sound and no vibration fatigue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:42 am:

I have seen spot welds inside the Ford coil box lids to keep the inner shelf in place. The tabs are great to locate but not enough to keep the shelf in. I don't know when they started spot welding them but I have seen the early lid missing the shelf, for lack of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

The transmission input shaft is welded to its flange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

If the brass splattered all over it counts as welding, you have to include the oil pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

I always put few spot welds on each end of the after market mufflers. They do tend to fall apart when driving or when the car backfires. A few spot welds will assure that your muffler stays together.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration