Aligning Starter Mounting Holes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Aligning Starter Mounting Holes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

I'm installing a rebuilt starter and having trouble lining up the holes in the starter flange with the threaded holes in the engine. I can get two screws in, but not the other two. The holes are just slightly off. I'm thinking of slightly enlarging the holes in flange. Is that a no-no?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Is the starter flange hitting the frame? Is the bolt from the pan/hogshead threaded in too far, kicking it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Is it an original starter or one of the 12 volt conversions using the Delco type motor and the new made mounting end? If it's an original there should be no need to do anything but bolt it up. Modern or original there should be a centering ring that fits into the hole in the hog head. Do you have another starter you can compare it to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Check your gasket position, could be the lower holes blocked by the gasket slipping or new gasket with undersize holes?

And just loose on the top screws until you can insert the lower screws, if the upper are snug first, sometimes the fit is compromised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

It's a standard 6v starter. I was monkeying with it for a long time today. The old starter fit nicely, but I got a rebuilt one. I'll pull it off tomorrow and try it again.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Try installing studs in the top 2 holes, slide the starter in, install the 2 bottom bolts loosely, remove one stud at a time and replace w/a bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:13 am:

Use a gasket as a template. The old starter fits so use a gasket that fits it and match that to the holes on your new one. If there's a difference you'll know soon enough. I don't believe I've ever heard of this problem being mentioned here before so I'm wondering what's different about the new one. Don't force it you'll just break the mounting plate. Or worse strip out a threaded hole. Some things wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:16 am:

By the way enlarging the holes in the mount could (would?) change the pinion's position in relation to the flywheel causing grief.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:19 am:

If you don't have studs, use longer bolts with the same size thread. Cut off the heads. Screw the bolts in loosely and try to slip the starter in place. Then remove one stud at a time and put in the screw in that location. It is very important that the starter be installed in the correct alignment with the flywheel, so I would not recommend enlarging any of the holes. If you cannot get it to fit, send it back and ask for a refund.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Wait a minute. Possibly spoke too soon. Does the starter case nose have a flange on it that fits the large round hole? If so that would align the pinion and slightly enlarging the mount holes might not matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:35 am:

I would like to see a photo of the starter showing the mounting bracket?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:42 am:

So the bending is off & the positive post is on the top, right? Ok I just went back and read you still have your old starter, so did you buy the rebuilt one from a vendor or individual? Either way could you tell if the mounting flange is magnetic or not. The reason I ask these questions is a few years ago a vendor now deceased had some aluminum castings produced that were slightly off. Back then you could call him and he would replace it but that's not going to help now but you could fill and re-drill the holes in the starter, To Charlie's point first don't do anything to the hogshead with the exception to see if you have anything causing an obstruction. If none, since you have the old starter which you said still fits, measure from the corners to the center of the bolt hole, from the side and from the top of the old starter to where they intersect, then measure the rebuilt one, should be the same. If not and you can't return it to the seller a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do switch the head on the case with the old one or elongate the holes. Others may differ your mileage may very

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Sorry should have been bendix not bending

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:56 am:

John
Mark G. eluded to that problem earlier, but whether Phil has one of the aluminium mounting bracket starters with incorrect bolt centers has yet to be determined.
This is why I asked for a photo for the starter.
If he does, as you say the fix is easy.
Just open the bolt holes enough for the four bolts to go into the hogshead threaded holes being sure the mounting bracket flange fits into the hogshead bore correctly and the two mating surfaces are flat against each other.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

I found the problem this morning. The lower left corner (looking rearward) of the starter flange was hitting the hogs head/oil pan castle nut. I filed about 1/16" off the starter flange and it fit.

Phil

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration