New guy bought another 27 t

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New guy bought another 27 t
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

Bought another t roadster today 27 but still going to finish my 26 roadsters with all Henry parts but the new one has the tru fire ignition system. Should this b replaced with coils. I read a little on line but no real opinions!! I need the advise. Thanks in advane27 roadster27 roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 11:32 pm:

It isn't what Henry installed of course and it's really a matter of choice...if it runs good and you like it, keep it. If you're planning of be a show car, well you probably should switch back to the stock set up then...if not...

A friend of mine has a truefire system on his 26 touring, he likes it and it is a whole hell of a log less trouble than the stock coil and timer system (the truefire never needs any adjustment).

Here's the thing...if it runs nice, and you're enjoying driving it, why do you want to change it...remember "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" words to live by Tim, words to live by. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

You should first check why it has a TrueFire system installed. A person wouldn't normally spend money on something that isn't needed so is the internal Ford magneto operational? Is there an internal magneto? My racer has a TrueFire system because there's no magneto. It works flawlessly.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 12:29 am:

Tim, I think the real, only legitimate choice you have is to ship that car to me. I'll dispose of it accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 12:38 am:

Question is ,is why previous owner switched ??
Bad Mag maybe. ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 12:43 am:

Tim,

What a beauty !

I like your personal quote:

" They are all great we must keep them running for future generations. "

Agreed .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:44 am:

Gather up coils and repair them until the truefire breaks. Than you install the coils. Best of both worlds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 03:34 am:

One of these days, I really must change my '24 coupe back to timer, coils, and six volt electrical. In the meantime, it runs, and drives, too nice, and I have too many other things I need to spend time and money working on. A lot of people get the impression that I am a purist. But the fact is, that the car was that way when I got it, and works too well for me to worry about changing it. At least yet.
The fact is, the model T was mostly just fine the way Henry built it, and sold them. A lot of these things (including water pumps) got changed simply because people did not really understand them. They were a good design, and properly maintained, still work great. But having something not purist correct should not cause anyone to not enjoy it. If you want to "correct it" later, or even sooner, do so.
That is my opinion.
In the mean time? Welcome to the affliction!
Do drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Thanks for your opinions the car was built built by a older fellow in alabama and he put a ton of time an money in to it. New engine, trans rebuilt front end interior, tires, powder coat wheels ect. With that said it runs really good an starts quick and runs nice. He passed shortly after its completion. I will drive it some and see what might come up. I still have my other 26 in pieces so I will keep trying to get her back on the road. Getting in it this cold morning to go to my 80 year old moms. She wants to check it out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Carlton on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:30 am:

I can't believe it took that long for that car to sell, it's such a beauty!!! Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:58 am:

My 1924 cut-off touring (now a pickup) came to me without a magneto and with a Truefire installed. It has given me two years and counting of trouble-free service. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Tim-and Mark-my '20 Runabout came with Tru-Fire. Was put on when the previous owner to the previous owner had engine rebuilt. No mag. So "stuck" with it. However, no real complaints. Except...keep all the connections nice and clean. Like take it all apart and clean posts, nuts, and even contact points of the coil box with fine steel wool. Voice of experience. Nice looking car btw Tim.

The "other Tim" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 10:24 am:

My only comment about Tru-Fire is when it quits running on the road, it is difficult, if not impossible to repair. A coil system is repairable along side the road. I keep most the necessary repair parts in the car. Even if I get it running on three cylinders, it will get me back home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Willie, you're spot on there! In fact, you just gave me an idea...even tho my tru-fire '20 has no mag, I'd be well off to keep 4 coils & a timer in the trunk in case the TF goes south, I can at least run the coils all day on battery.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration