Bakersfield Swap Meet - What is it like?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bakersfield Swap Meet - What is it like?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

I will be attending the Swap Meet. What is this swap meet like? Dan Colorado

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

A very good swap meet for T's and other early cars. One of the best swap meets in Southern California, but far enough north the the northerners can also attend.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

It is great if you are looking for early parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

I hope I go again this year, but doubt it. I missed the last past two years.
Everybody is different. But I love it. Lots and lots of rusty junk (not really junk!), and a lot of wonderful cars from very early into the early '30s.
About half the parts at the meet are model T, and mostly good stuff!! I have been to meets that had enough early stuff to build one or two nearly correct '09 or '10 Ts. Most of the parts are later, but several good brass era Ts could be assembled, and most anything you could need for any other year.
Lots of non-Ford stuff shows up also. About seven years ago I went, I called it the year of Locomobile. There were three good 1900ish steam motors, several correct axles (fronts and rears), and even a nice restore-able original body from about 1900.
A partnership of HCCA and model T groups put on the meet, other clubs (including an antique Studebaker club) make a regular get together out of it. The HCCA puts on a couple seminars, there is an ice cream run with the cars on Friday afternoon. If you can afford the time, there are tours leading up to the swap meet days also. I hope to attend the tours some year soon, but it won't be this year.
Friday is by far the best swap day. Like other swap meets discussed on this forum, there are early-birds getting stuff during setup on Thursday, and although officially, the swap meet continues through Saturday, many people go home early. Friday goes all day. In the past, I have been there before 7am, and left after 5pm.
So GO!!! Enjoy!!!
Drive carefully, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Wearing your underwear on the outside of your pants and speaking in the third
person is a weird requirement, but you get used to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

LOL
Dc,&e,
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Has it been announced yet? Poster/flyer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Never been yet but plans are being made

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

I love that swapmeet, always find something out there and usually it's the hardest thing you're looking for that you never find anywhere else...like front top irons for a 1922 touring...one guy out there had two sets of them.

The 1922's are different in that they're slightly longer and they're curved like an "S" on it's side. And they're also really long with two holes that mate up with the two holes in the front seat box frame.

I'd been to lots of swapmeets and come up with nothing, but I found them at Bakersfield. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

http://www.ncrghcca.com/swap-meet.html

April 16, 2016

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:11 pm:

OOps April 24 2016

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Sorry guys I really screwed up. April 14-16 2016 Disregard link

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Think of the BEST swap meet you ever went to ...

Narrow it down to the 10% BEST items offered for sale ...

THAT is Bakersfield ...

The Best of the Best ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 02:15 am:

If I could only go to one swap meet a year, it would be Bakersfield!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Considering west coast swap meets, which one has the most black era / speedster / accessory T parts comparing Bakersfield with say, Portland up north in april or the Long Beach T club's swap in July?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 11:50 am:

I say Bakersfield is the Best on the west coast.
I have attended all of them over the years and enjoy Bakersfield the most. Of course....if you are looking for a hard to find item.....the worst swap meet could be the best for you provided you find the item you have been searching for.

Tom from Scat crank usually attends and brings some model T & A cranks to sell along with other parts. Sometimes, you can score a real deal on a crank if he brings a factory undersize that is still very usable. That's where I got mine.

For over 10 years, have been in the same space's O & P at Bakersfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

My flyer says Apr.8,8,2016.. haven't heard anything about 14,15,2106??? Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

Correction 8,9, 16 Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

I dunno what the dates are for sure but this is from the HCCA site:

April 14-16, 2016
Bakersfield 2016
InterNational Swap Meet & Tour
Bakersfield CA Host - Gil Klecan, (619) 295-8000
Spring is in the air; it`s time for Bakersfield
Great swapping and touring is what`s in store
Kick off Touring season 2016

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

This is also from the HCCA site:

April 10-13, 2016
Grizzly Bear Tour
Salinas CA Host - Michael Sullivan, (805) 728-5317
Sponsored by - Southern California Regional Group
A 4 day hub tour immediately preceding the Bakersfield Swap Meet. Join us from April 10 through April 13th for great California touring
Click HERE for Registration Form

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

https://realtimes.real.com/e/84A1RW?autoplay=false

Above is a link to a short video that I shot of the Bakersfield Swap Meet last year. It should give you a good sample of what to expect :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:46 am:

Dan, don't waste your money, it's just really early stuff there, almost nothing past WWI!
To give you an idea, one year I saw three different vendors selling Stanley parts! Besides the parts, the camaraderie of seeing old friends and meeting new ones is great. The cars for sale & on display are wonderful too. Get your directions and the lay of the land early, the first time I went took me a half hour to figure out how to get in! Somehow I missed the signs. . . .
I hope I get to go this year, but think I'm gonna be like Wayne and be staying north of the San Joaquin river valley. Oh well, there's always Auburn!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:59 am:

Bakersfield is advertised as a pre 1945 swap meet and has a lot of both brass and black model T parts and stuff. I do not agree with David Dewey about "Almost Nothing Past WWI".
David....if you missed the signs giving directions for getting in.....may answer part of why you did not find much. Smile!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:56 am:

Les,
Most of my post was with my tongue firmly in cheek! But, yes, lots of pre-war stuff, with a strong representation of pre '16 stuff, and yes, much "black & brass" I can see though, now that I re-read my posting, that message didn't come through. Ah well, this is why I'm not a famous author! :-)
You have no idea of how frustrating that was, circling the grounds trying to find the way in--what didn't help was a "Swap Meet" (household junk) being advertised & held on the east side of the grounds.
We just happened to come into the area via the one street that wasn't signed for the HCCA meet! The next time we had no problem.
OH, and what other swap meet has a famous Ice Cream Parlor just up the street (well, too far to walk, but still nearby!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Dave,
I will try and remember to put some Hagan Das ice cream bars in the RV freezer if you happen to come by our spot. I could not help but respond as I know you have a good sense of humor. Any progress on getting the Honda engine installed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

The only time it wasn't a very fun meet was three years ago when it rained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hammatt on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

I attend (as vendor) three major swap meets per year. Hershey, Chickasha and Bakersfield. By far Bakersfield is the less stressful of all three. Always plenty of hotels rooms at good prices, lots of great food, even more great people (but truthfully the people at all the swap meets are great!). I've been on the one day large car tour a couple of times. I've also gone on the Grizzley Tour (run by Michael Sullivan), a multi-day tour preceding the swap meet. Almost always good to great weather (only one time was the rain overwhelming). I always enjoy vending my plates at Bakersfield. Now, my one complaint is this: poor promotion, little notification, no dedicated website (unlike Chickasha and or course, Hershey). I like to promote my meets that I attend as a vendor on my website. Difficult every year to get a link, or even commitments as to dates, etc. This is one area that hopefully they'll continue to work on and improve. Go and enjoy!
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Les,
It's ongoing now as I type! I was going to email you today. And If I'm there, you know I will remember the offer!
Larry, what, you don't like slogging around in the mud?? Actually I didn't make it that year, thankfully! But I did read the reports! Steve, you are right, it is likely the least promoted swap meet around, but maybe that's why it's still so much fun--oops, I just let the cat outa the bag, didn't I?? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

Hi all, Per rules & regulations swap meet 1916 will be APRIL 8-9,1916. VENDOR gate will open at 6:00 P.M.Thursday, April 8 & at 6:00A.M. on Friday A.M. Gates will close at 10:00 P.M. no exceptions. This info. is from last years sign up sheet. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

Dang Don, that means for sure there won't be any 1917-27 T parts there as they will not have been made yet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

We have two different dates posted here Stan Howe has April 14-16 and Don Kirtley has April 8-9, 1916. Now we know that 1916 was over 99 years ago, but if I go there April 14-16, 2016, will I be too late?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

The HCCA calendar says April 14-16, 2016: http://www.hcca.org/calendar.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Don, You must have been asleep for a while, last year was NOT 1915! So what are the Dates for 2016?
:-)
Yes, you're going to be taking a ribbing for that typo!
But, seriously, what are the current dates? I would not trust the handout from last year, for available rental dates may have been changed by the owners, not the club!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

I tried googling it and everything I could find is some other club/organization listing it in a long list of other similar events. This certainly leave room for error.

What is the name of the venue? Is it held in the local fairgrounds, on a large school campus, or what. That would be the place to confirm dates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

I found it finally. This from the Kern County Fairgrounds website:

Horseless Carriage Club of America
Auto Expo
April 15-16
7:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Admission $2
Parking $5
Information (661) 836-4090
www.hcca.org

I hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Dang , hit the 9 instead of 2 . Must be my crossed eyes 2016 .. For information call Tom Lane (661)7065263. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Larry,
Will not forget the rain year. I brought my enclosed trailer and did great selling out of the trailer. Buyers gathered in my trailer to get out of the rain.....sales were very good. I was lucky getting my RV over to pick up the trailer and did not get stuck getting out of the fairground. The big red tractor was waiting to see if I needed help and happy to say I did not.
There are still mud stains under the RV & trailer. Have been going to Bakersfield for many years and that was the only time we had any heavy rain that I can remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

Sorry, I just talked to Tom Lane. He said I have an early flyer with the wrong date. Swap meet is April 14-16,2016. Call him for any information. (661) 7065263. Sorry for the confusion!!! I would have been there a week early according to my calender. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

I always sell better when it rains at any meet I attend. Seems that guys are determined not to let the rain ruin their meet and they get out the money and buy stuff. They also do not waste a lot of time bargaining in the rain. The year it rained at Bakersfield I sold almost every last scrap of what I brought. 99% by weight was gone off the trailer. Still, I would prefer nice weather. It got ugly before everyone got out of that mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

I am headed to Bakersfield now as a matter of fact ...

A little early perhaps but it certainly will be warmer than single digit weather ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Les, it may not have been fun for you the last time it rained, but I had a blast there that year. Got a good deal on some nice 21" demountable split rim wood wheels that time. Plus some nice other stuff. In the rain you aren't stumbling over other buyers. The only problem is that maybe 5-10% of the vendors don't open in the rain.

Bring a dry change of clothes for the ride home and you turn a no fun day into a pleasant experience.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 01:12 am:

Try showing up naked and see how the crowd clears out to give you first shot at everything ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 01:20 am:

On second thought, wear a Borat style "mankini" and you can pick up the "babes" too ! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration