How bad did you want to go to Breakfast?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How bad did you want to go to Breakfast?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Some of you are smart enough to live in warmer climates or at least leave the T in the garage in Winter. My wife is sweet enough to ask to go to breakfast in a T from time to time. We had a storm last night. While the snow wasn't too deep it was too wet for the T. I have a set of proper chains for 21" tires that may have worked on the 30" but can't find them. I did find some short chain I could wrap between the spokes to get us out of the back yard. Once we were out on pavement that was well worn we took the chains off and did fine. The T's do help me get through the Winters.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Have you ever tried 1/2 inch Sisal or manilla rope? I used that on my "T" and got out of a big mud hole (My back yard after a heavy rain) it worked great just tie it off to the first spoke go around the tire and through the next spoke space until you get back to where you started tie the other end and you are good to go. Warning if you get on clear road the rope sounds like a rumble strip!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

We don't get a lot of opportunities to drive in snow down here, but I did do it once last year using ropes. I was just taking the car out for a picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKZIGCyp8u8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

I couldn't find any rope in the garage. It would have been a better choice and easier on the wood spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

I would love to have a T like that, that I could daily drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Chad, I see by your Cut-off and your doodlebug that you realize you can't have all your fun in one vehicle. I drug what I though were show cars to shows for several years. Then I just drove them. This one is just as much fun and I don't worry much about it. As many have said "To each his own".

Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Richard, Thank You and Yes, I have become very addictive to T's in the last year or so---and as it has been said many times on this forum, you can't have just one. I haven't really done much with the pickup in ten years, but it is Canadian, and that makes it a little rarer here--cut up and pieced together or not.

But if I ever found something similar to yours at the right price, I would think hard about it. I could drive easily 3/4 of the year here daily as I don't go far anyways. Of course the wife would kill me, NY would love me for making money off another vehicle that I own, and quite frankly I am already out of room--although that has never really stopped any of us--has it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Breakfast? Who needs breakfast, I haven't eaten breakfast for about 50 years. I just have a 1/2 glass of juice, a cup of coffee and that's it.
When I was a kid we were so poor Mom couldn't afford to give us breakfast. She told us "Just do your chores, get washed up and go to school."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Ken, if it works for you that is great.

Today they plowed my access shut. There was about 2 1/2 feet of snow before I could get to the plowed pavement. It took several runs to break through. I high centered and had to dig a little. The chains had tightened themselves and froze. I had to dig the tool bag out from under the seat. I hadn't needed them for a couple of years. Some wrenches were trying to escape through the side. While I was out I bought some Manila rope. This is a better solution. Although I didn't buy enough to do the whole wheel, it seems to work well and give the engine a little chance to speed up in between.

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

I've been out plowing snow all morning decided to come in for lunch. We have about 13"-14" right now and it is still coming down! I plow about 15 lane miles of roadway and 6 large parking lots where I work and live. It's fun living in a snow belt area. Every time I get the main entrance to camp open the state come past and plows it in again :-(. I drive a Ford 8000 dump with a large plow on it and a Ford/New Holland 555E backhoe with a plow and it's all I can do to keep the main road open today! I think they are calling for 2 feet of snow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:02 pm:

Richard's picture of the berm left by the snow plough brought back memories of my years in Rochester NY. I would force the VW Bug out over the hard snow, so Heather would go out to make a better path. Later the plough would come by and the berm would spoil all her work. It was her pet peeve, good think really as it make the move to San Diego much easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Unfortunately, in MA - snow equals salt. I would never take my T out in salt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

We have salt or Magnesium Chloride. It is corrosive. It is hard on paint and is etching my garage floor. I believe 80% of the parts in this car were headed for the scrap yard. I was taking my nicer cars out in the Winter so using this one is saving them. I think I could drive it another 30 years before much noticeable change would occur. Everything is a trade off and I'm willing to sacrifice this Coupe to get me through the Winters.

Thanks for the concern.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Any day in a T or A is great day.Cold snow no problem and breakfast is a plus. Very cool car...Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Very cool indeed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rik Van on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Richard you are definitely living the dream! here in Canada the "survivor" cars like your snow machine are treated like million dollar rolls-royces. I am also amazed to hear someone say they still scrap T parts in this day and age not only that but they have enough to pull a whole car off the pile! I have the same body but its a hopeless mess every stick of wood has long disintegrated and the entire bottom half is like a lace doily BUT it is actually about as good as you're going to get up here unless stored indoors all its life with all the structure gone I cant even sell it i'd have so much money tied up in just the mere shell if I replaced all that wood it would be worth 3x what they can sell for..... that looks like fun even though its hard work its like a time warp youre doing the same things guys did in the '20s-'30s and even '40s when the wife wanted a ride in the snow thats neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

Rik, I find it interesting to see high eBay prices on one part and conversations of what to do with all the T parts some have collected for years. Even a fellow who will haul them away for free. I did have a lot of fun building this Coupe and now it is fun playing with it. My ideas have changed over 50 years as the whole hobby has.
You may remember this discussion from a few years ago.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/283627.html?1335009157

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rik Van on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:42 am:

Exactly what I always hoped to build something fun and drivable. Originally my buddy and I thought we could take on the wood project but jobs children family etc 10 years have gone by and we've decided to pass on the coupe we've had it for sale for a couple hundred bucks and no one will touch it with a ten foot pole lol...but now have a roadster and a touring that might be a bit easier to rewood....beautiful work by the way!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration