Ruckstell shifter?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ruckstell shifter?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Thinking about putting a spare Ruckstell I have in my 1911 touring. Has anybody used the shifter that comes through the brake lever hole? Do you have to modify the slot, does it Interfere with the brake lever? Trying to decide which way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Lee Pierce use to make LH shifters for the Ruckstell, I copied one for my coupe. They work great as the drivers right hand can now operate the throttle. They fit at the rear of the emergency brake hole and I saw no interference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Tony, please add pics & details. Would like to make one. What changes would you make ect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

I think Jack Daron makes them for a very reasonable price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

Langs sells this one. It works very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

We make them. Lang's buys them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

I have one in my 14 Touring. It works well and I like that I don't have to dodge the shifter every time I get into the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

>>>It works very well.<<<

Hi Royce - I've been thinking about this very set up to avoid having to climb in over a stick. From your photo, it appears the parking brake lever is in neutral. Is the gear shift lever blocking the parking brake or is it just the perspective of this photograph?

Also, is that carpet padding under the floor mat? Does that insulate the cockpit from the transmission/engine/exhaust heat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Do you have to drill the frame to mount it ? That one looks like it has pillar bearings, the one langs has pictured don't .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

The brake lever can pull all the way back to the seat and not interfere with the shifter or vice Verza. I bent the shift handle after beating it cherry red to make it totally out of the way. It does not work well out of the box.

Yes I do have Capet pad under the floor mat. Helps a lot when it is already 105 degrees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

If I understand correctly, the major thing that an installer has to do is weld the shift lever to the cross shaft once the proper operating position is found, which is only a problem if the installer is not a welder. Of course, I guess one could drill and pin both together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

I made my own from a Model T emergency brake. I used a new shaft and mounted it on top of the frame. I did heat the hand lever and put an offset in it. I first used set screws to set the levers , then once they were right I brazed them in position. Later I notched the slot to the outside to simplify removing the floorboards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

If you want to mess up your nice frame, go ahead and do it! I'll stick with the original Ruckstell design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 12:12 am:

Larry, I'll agree, particularly if you have a matching numbers car. My two T's both have original mounts. My brother's, which neither he or I restored has, the a side mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 12:39 am:

I like having the car with the shifter on the left and the throttle on the right. That way you can actually match speed to shift without moving your right hand from throttle to shifter. I would rather have it that way than miss a shift and get rear ended. That would really mess up your nice frame. LOL.

(Message edited by paulmikeska on January 18, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 01:07 am:

On top of that I did not have to bastardize my floor boards and cut an ugly unoriginal slot that does not match the pattern of the floor mat.

(Message edited by paulmikeska on January 18, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Jesteadt - SE Florida on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Paul, I couldn't agree with you MORE!!!
Royce, could you post a better picture of shifter / cross bar area?
THANKS Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Here is a LH shifter option. It requires no holes drilled in the frame. Off set brackets have to be made that use the existing E-brake mounting holes. If you us a 26-7 E-brake lever it clears the early E-brake lever.

Here is a link on the steps to convert an E-brake lever.

www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/May2005newsletter/may2005.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Jesteadt - SE Florida on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Mike,
Thanks for the informative link. I appreciate the helpful information about the PROPER way of adapting the shift lever so it can be operated from the left hand side. You guys are the best. Hope to meet some day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

>>>If you us a 26-7 E-brake lever it clears the early E-brake lever.<<<

Hello Mike - Why do you say 26 or 27 emergency brake lever? Are those bent a little differently or longer/shorter than any other T parking brake handle?

So in addition to using the parking brake lever, you use the entire parking brake/gear shift actuating rod. Is that about right?

Looking at your second picture, is there ever a situation where the curved parts of the actuating rods interfere with each other?

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on January 25, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Codeglia on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Interesting to see that others also felt that the too-tall Ruckstell shift lever was in the way! When I first got my '23 Runabout, I found it extremely difficult to comfortably work the controls, due to having that tall extra shifter in my way, on my right side. I therefore decided to come up with my own work-around... Since I rarely used the low-speed Ruckstell feature (our area roads are flat), I removed the Ruckstell shift-lever and then removed a 12-inch section from the middle... then went to my local muffler shop and had them weld the two remaining sections back together. Now, the lever sticks up only a few inches above the floorboard (yet is still easily usable)... and sliding in and out is no longer inhibited by having that extra lever against your legs. So far, it has worked-out very well!BEFOREAFTER

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

Bob when you shift that short lever do you use your hand or a foot?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration