Your advice on selling

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Your advice on selling
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

We've all seen those posts attempting to sell a car without providing adequate information. Sometimes it's because the seller doesn't know, but often it's a case of knowing enough but not realizing what would help make the sale. I'm working on a web page to provide a little help for such cases, and I'm open to suggestions and comments. Take a look at what I have so far.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG100.html

This is a work in progress, so I haven't put a link to it on my site yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

So what are you asking for it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

$257,862.37

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

I recently was asked by a friend to help him sell his TT. It has been something of a chore
to bring the necessary intel to the table for me to proceed, and so some of this is fresh in my
head.

> Good photos from each corner showing a side and end, so a buyer can really SEE what the vehicle looks like.

> Good detail photos of items that are prone to be missing, damaged, or are "hot" selling points.

> Does it run ? Does it turn over ?

> Title status.

> Engine number.

> A realistic price, based on demand, condition, and what current market trends are doing for similar vehicles.

> Good contact info.

> Availability to answer questions or additional photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Minor suggestion, Steve. Run spell check. ("somtimes"). Seems like sound advice otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

I would be more likely to buy if the old guy wearing the straw hat was a Daisy Duke type girl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Steve, this is an excellent topic and I agree on your points. I suggest taking a look at a number of for sale ads in VF, Hemmings, etc and identify what's complete and done well, and what is unclear or lacking. Those will have relatively few pictures per ad to critique.

Equally important to me at least, is the quality of photos presented in some VF articles, and you may have addressed this earlier. The same photo guidelines you give for advertising should be followed when articles are presented in VF. respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

People use LOL a lot even when they aren't laughing out loud, but that did it for me. LOL!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

The number one boo - boo I see when folks are selling a Model T or other old car is that the car is in a dark garage and they can only see one side of the car due to tight quarters. The message here:

For goodness sakes push the car outside in the sun and take pictures so we can see the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The second most common easy to avoid boo - boo - don't take photos of old photos!!!!! I see this all the time - people take a picture of a photo. Sometimes it is obvious the photo was a long time ago, suggesting the car may not look that well today.
This is from a current eBay auction - the only photo provided.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

How in the world can I unsee that now!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ben Umberger on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

I have done a piece that I email people who ask for advice in selling a Model T. That follows, I'll be editing it once I consult your finished work on the topic.

Regards

Ben

How to sell a Model T

Identify the car:
1. Year
2. Body
3. Condition of:
4. Engine
5. Body
6. Paint
7. Top (if an open car)
8. Upholstery
9. Tires (if near new)
10. Special considerations, Floating Hubs, Ruxtal, Accessory brakes, all add value.
11. Take very good pictures, good lighting, illustrate the condition of the whole car (if you were buying what would you want to see?

History, is it a 1 or 2 owner car, did it spend the last x number of years in clean storage , has it been driven on a regular basis? Was the engine rebuilt? If so when and by who. Does the car have an interesting history?

How to price the car, Browse:

Read similar ads in these sites:
1. Hemmings.com
2. MTFCA Classifieds
3. Modelt.org
4. Ebay.com
5. Adhuntr.com (can browse whole country of Craigís List listings.
6. http://forums.aaca.org/forum/14-buysell/
7. OldRide.com
8. FordBarn.com

Be realistic when pricing, unique models with total rebuilds completed within a very few years since a restore might bring top dollar, average or lesser quality cars are another matter. Some time, study and consultation with experienced people can help here.

Generally speaking if you are willing to wait for the price you want you are much more likely to get it. On the other hand if you donít know what you want you might pass by a quality offer.

Where to advertise
I add our local club info here
Local and Regional Model T Clubs
Local and Regional antique car clubs.

MTFCA (Model T Ford Club of America
MTFCA.COM
Register as a user (free) and make an entry in the classifieds

MTFCI (Model T Ford Club International)
ModelT.org
Register as a user (free) and make an entry in the classifieds
Ebay.com

Hemmings.com
Ebay.com
Craigslist.com
OldRide.com
TheFordBarn.com
AACA.Org

Have a quick and easy way to share more pictures with people who respond, perhaps a prepared email with attachments or maybe a link to a Google Drive or Dropbox

Organize your responses, at some point you might want to accept an earlier offer, donít lose track of who offered what price.

The more you know about the car the more trust the buyer can place in your description of the condition of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

What do you have for sale Steve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

Ya nothing like those people trying to sell a car for more then it's worth that's under a pile of crap with 20 years of dust on it in a dark garage. :-) (That is not a barn find) That happens more often then you would think. I have seen a couple of ads on Craigs list, how can you take a photo of a photo but not take a photo of the real car? !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

I never really considered how difficult the selling process would be for the uninitiated until I read this. I would think the most difficult part is the pricing piece. You can tell folks to price their cars "reasonably", but what exactly is that? Most folks look at EBay and price their cars accordingly to an "advertised price" which is seldom accurate. I always tell people who are trying to price out any antique car, outboard, or firearm to see what comparable items are SELLING at. The price something SELLS at is it's value. If something is advertised at an outlandish price, there won't be any buyers. Hence, it is OVER-PRICED. That's a concept lots of folks have trouble grasping. I'm not sure how much more you can simplify it than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Burger, is that you in the picture you posted above???

Just wondering....:-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Vacuum it out and wash it.
Details on the title?
Is it a clear title with the engine serial number or a state issued number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Your usual outstanding work, Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Keith,

I only WISH I looked that good in a pair of Daisy Dukes !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

MY EYS !!!!!!!!!!!

Now I got to stay up and watch some TV for a while or I'll that image in my head of Droopy Drawers Duke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

OOh-

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth...

: ^ P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Don't be hatin', guys. Juan from Catalonia wants to feel "pretty" too ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 03:10 am:

Steve, how about... Where the car is Located? Is it on your property? In Storage across town?, in a different City, or State? The person selling, needs information, and a lot of it. If they don't know, THEY need to do research and find out, AND/ OR, find the right people, like a Club, who does know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 03:13 am:

Steven Thum, To unsee something, do a System Restore. It seems to work on my Windows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 08:01 am:

Sorry I highjacked your thread steve. For me in buying something like a car is to see the car in clear photos, many photos with out going to far with the photos, and either a good discription of car and what you get with it or say "I know little about the car" " will answer ant questions". The buyer has to realize your taking your chances. Just like buying off ebay. I have been burned several times but got as discribed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Looks like our fearless leader has helped us unsee Juan from Catalonia and now all the banter makes no sense. : - P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 07:54 am:

And I feel a lot better being a member of this Forum that is read by mothers, wives, sons and daughters all over the world.

There is a tremendous amount of Model T information available on these pages. Other subjects are promulgated very well on other websites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Having sold dozens of cars on eBay, regarding price: Do an "Advanced Search" for your year/model. Specify for the search to include "Sold listings" and "Closed Listings". You'll be able to see what recent cars sold for, and also those that were listed but did not sell. That's your "current market value." Of course, every car is different, as are the perceptions of the bidder/buyer.
If this all sounds too difficult, hire someone to help who knows what they're doing and will help you get the most for your car.
Good luck!
David
www.CharvetClassicCars.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

I've neglected this for a couple of weeks, but I'd like to finish it up and post the links. http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG100.html

I've used a lot of the excellent suggestions. In fact, I copied some of them verbatim. See if I missed anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Seeing how we are selling a model T Will it run on battry and then on mag ? Will it crank start on mag? Body numbers? Can i look inside the trans cover?Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Nicely done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

One thing that helps some people who are looking to buy is: If your digital camera has the option of having the date show up on the picture, this assures possible buyers that the pictures of the vehicle are current.
I once bought a vehicle on Ebay that the seller used the pictures from the person he bought the car from 6 years earlier & the dummy stored the vehicle is a garage that had a severe condensation problem. The car was nothing like the pictures!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

Steve I about ready pull the trigger and make an offer but at that price I go look at that 09 town car
But yeah went looked at a pile of model T parts today guy had one front axel and a hogshead rest was later A and V8 stuff but all heavy iron get my meaning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 12:20 am:

"We don't care how your car looks with you (or 1/2 nekkid women) standing in front of it."
Hmm, I dunno, I'd look at the pics with 1/2 nekkid women--well, if they're like fashion models, not like the ones you see at Wal-Mart! Well, maybe not if they hide the good features of the car (what car, was there a car in the ad?)!
:-)
Looks nice Steve, good job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Charvet on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 02:24 am:

Well done. Thanks for including my thoughts.
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, February 15, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Steve - I'm a little late with this thought/suggestion/whatever,....but for what it's worth:

Your very well thought out and detailed write-up on the subject (as usual for you) and you have provided an excellent guide for selling. I only had one thought which may or may not make sense, but for what it's worth:

You have excellent skills in photography and also, obviously, have very good equipment whether cameras, or, maybe even nowadays, one of the "smart phones" which are getting better and better as far as their ability to take quality pictures, However (and this is my point here) I believe there are still those folks that, lacking your photo-taking ability or even a good camera, will choose to use a photo or photo(s) that had been taken previously. I think a valid suggestion for those folks is to clearly state the if it photo is not recent, be honest and completely explain that. So often, I'll see an ad for a car for sale and the first thing that comes to mind is that,....yeah, the car looks pretty good, but that photo may have been taken when the guy first bought the car 12 years ago, and has never taken a photo of it since, and who knows what the car ACTUALLY looks like now. So,....all of my too "wordy" suggestion is this,......that if you're using a photo that was taken, for example, "summer before last", or "twelve years ago when I first bought it", for heavens sake, be honest and says so! Say something like,...."photo taken three years ago at such-and-such car show, but car now looks exactly as it did then except for the white wall tires being replaced with black wall tires and the finish, while undamaged except for a 6" scratch on the R/F fender and small door ding on passenger side".

To me, such a description, even if a bit more brief, legitimizes the entire "for sale" ad and makes it more believable, even when pointing out a blemish or two. Anyway, FWIW,.......harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration