Best tires for a 1914 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Best tires for a 1914 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

I brought my wood wheels to Stutzman's to be redone, and would like to replace the tires when they come back. The old ones were not really worn at all, but the white walls are quite yellow. I have 30x3 in front and 30 x 3.5 out back.

My first choice would be all white tires, but after reading a lot of threads here, and talking to the vendors, everyone says they yellow pretty quickly.

So if the correct white tires are out, I was thinking a set of non skid tread tires simply because a tread pattern made out of words is kinda cool.

Then I started reading that all the new tires are coming from a factory in Vietnam, and people are not happy with the quality.

I would rather spend a little more on quality, if it is available. Any advice? Should I just put the hard 20 year old tires back on?

Thanks!
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

Joe, if you just want the white walls to be white, get some Ranger Tire paint! It's specially formulated for tires and works really well. It'll make those yellowed walls look brand spanking new.

www.rangerpaint.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Can't help but I be interested in use tires
I used the tire paint Seth talking about with decent results not as whitewalls but a lettering highlights

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Hey Joe.. Good Luck with the restoration! I also used Stutzmans and they did a beautiful job on the wheels. I ended up having two sets of Firestone all-white "non-skids" turn an awful coffee brown on me so I decided to get the Firestone all black "non-skid" tires and I am very happy with the black look and the tires. The quality is fine and the car really looks sharp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

To me bright white tires on an early brass era car look great esp if it's a lighter color. To me the black or gray tires look good on cars like above. There is a point where white or big white walled tires draw your eyes to them not the car. The car above; are your eyes drawn to the car, tires or whole package, I see the car first. :-) OP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 08:18 am:

gary, sent you pm and email. You may have those spindles cor cost of shipping.

Now I really like the look of striaght rib lester tires in grey on early cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 08:24 am:

Joe, as far as quality goes, from what I've read the only place the tires come from is Vietnam anyway, so you just have to go with the flow. I looked at the non-skids and quickly decided the "cool lettering" wasn't worth all the extra cold cash!! Just sayin' :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

Does anyone have a pic of the Grey tires on an early T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:23 am:

I have only seen a few Ts with the gray tires on them. But quite a few other smaller early cars. I like the look of the gray tires. Don't have any pictures handy however.
Just my silly opinion.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 05:52 am:

Ward's Riverside are what I bought and I love them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:34 am:

Joe, last I knew grey tires were unavailable.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration