?? Electric headlamp adjustment hole location question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: ?? Electric headlamp adjustment hole location question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:56 am:

ON the electric headlamp the adjustment hole is either above or to the side of the socket. Does the location identify particular year of use or did that vary by manufacturer of the lamp? If it identifies the years of usage to which years does the location belong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Hi Jack,

As I understand it; hole at the top 1915, hole at the side 1916-1927.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Thanks Bill for the help. I have both but did not know which would be appropriate for 1915.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Hello again Jack,

I should have added the following:

The '15 lamps use their own specific right angle lamp plugs. When the hole in the lamp was rotated top to the left, Ford also brought out a new right angle plug to mate with the contacts in the socket. That lamp plug was used into 1917, I think.
Lang's carries both lamp plugs.
Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

And the fender irons are different for the '14-early '17, as they are straight sided to fit the straight side headlamp bucket post.

The later '17-'25 fender iron have the slope sided hole for the post.

Slope sided on left (late '17-'25) and straight side on right.

And the '15 seems to have the focus screw on the top, the '16-'17 have it on the side.

'15 on right, '16-'17 on left

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, January 18, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Thanks Dan, now I have to check my fender irons!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:27 am:

The 12 o'clock position for the adjustment screw was through at least the 1917 model year, based on surviving cars with known histories.

It's debatable if the angle plugs were used in the 1917 Model year. For 1917, the adjustment screw was still in the 12 o'clock position. However, the '17 Rip Van Winkle touring and my dad's '17 touring (he has owned it for over 65 years) came with straight plugs. Royce Peterson's '17 roadster has angle plugs but his father may have swapped out the originals 63 years ago - I'll have to ask him. I have an unrestored '17 roadster but the plugs were missing on the lights when I purchased the car.

Langs does sell angled plugs for the lamps with the screw at the 9 o'clock position. However, those plugs are a recent fantasy creation so folks can simply have the angled plugs on the later lamps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration