Exhaust manifold question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Exhaust manifold question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:04 am:

I have always assumed that the exhaust manifolds for all T's were the same. But after reading the thread on the new reproduction exhaust pipes, I can see that my manifold is designed for use with the later, flared pipe.

Can someone tell me how to recognize a correct manifold for a '12? I'll be going to Bakersfield and will keep my eye out. But I need to know what to look for.

Thanks, Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:46 am:

Dick,
The correct manifold for the 12 is straight through and is not configured for a flared pipe. The early style requires a packing to help keep the exhaust pipe in place and not leak.
My early 13 also came with the 12 style manifold.

I will be also be at Bakersfield in spaces O & P.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:17 am:

Hmm, I'll bet Larry's trying to get the next ones done in time for the Bakersfield meet!
Actually, that would be good for me, 'cause I'm certain someone I know is going and could pick up my '16's pipe and save me shipping & boxing!
Hmmmmm, now to act nice-nice to folks around here for a few months. . . .
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 07:59 am:

Be careful removing the exhaust pipe from one of these early manifolds, they are thin and will break. I broke the one on my early 13, but was able to successfully braze it back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:25 am:

The early manifold was counterbored to accept the pipe. Note the rear edge is not tapered for the flare found on later exhaust pipes.

manifold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:58 am:

There are two versions of the non-flared manifolds, and several versions of the flared. See pages 8 & 9 in Rodda's Volume 2.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Dick,

I would imagine that you could cut the counterbore in any flared style manifold & square up the end to remove the flare and use it as it would have been in 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Thanks for all the info, guys. Especially the photo from Phil.

If the only difference between manifolds is hidden by the packing nut, I probably need to take the exhaust pipe off and be certain that my manifold isn't already of the early type.

My current manifold is a good fit to the block, so I hate to jeopardize that plus by buying a correct early manifold only to find out that it's warped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig in SoCal on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Hi Steve,
What is "Rodda's Volume 2"? I'm not familiar with that one.
Bailey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Gail Rodda has written three books, Model T Ford Parts Identification Guide Volume 1, 2 and 3: http://gailrodda.wix.com/modeltford#!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration