**1919-1927 Coil Ring to Engine Assembly for Cars with Starters**

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: **1919-1927 Coil Ring to Engine Assembly for Cars with Starters**
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:38 am:

This is just the corrected version from last year. Had to move thing about a bit and check all the numbers...think I got them right...

Although I'm not real sure just what the 3081 old style looks like. Since it bolts to the opposite hole as the later style does, it's necessarily much shorter. I think this is what it should look like, but if you've got that style in your car...you should probably replace it anyway with the newer larger one that the vendors sell, it has a much larger funnel than the previous style did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:59 am:

Martin, as far as I recall, the small funnel pipe is fixed to the same bolt, the tube being a little longer to get it further over.
I could be wrong!
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:07 am:

Allan the ones in the parts catalog look too short round the bend area to mount to that furthest bolt...all you can really tell from those pictures is that it's sort of flared at the end and then it bends right after the flare, it also doesn't show how it mounts either...it just maybe that the tube just pops down the hole and is the only thing holding it in that position, I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

In later years, Ford also changed the large shim, and notched it on both ends, so the assembly line guys wouldn't have to worry about which way to put it in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Also, in later years, no one appears to be manufacturing either style and have not done so for many years.

Could it be because of the waste material that would be left over from cutting those out?

Could a computer program also determine a pattern that would produce the most single piece shims from the same left over stock?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Thanks Martin I love your line drawings they are a real help in understanding the "T" without tearing everything apart! KEEP 'EM COMING!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

I think that Allen B. is correct. The oil line for either the old or newer larger funnel style goes in the same location. In other words the same bolt hole.
They are interchangeable.

I replaced the oil line in my 1919 Runabout with the newer version and it was a drop in and same bolt location as the old on. The location of the oil line hole in the block didn't change so it stands to reason that it would accept either oil line.
Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

Same hole, other bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

That's what I thought...the bend was too drastic for it span all the way from the other top hole...so I knew it had to go in the closest one to the tube entry.

It would be good to know the difference in years between those two small one Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

Looks like I was right after all. I could be wrong.
Thanks fellows.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration