What do you think this engine squeak is?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What do you think this engine squeak is?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:01 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO5s2VeBY88

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:48 am:

Good morning Kevin,

I hear two noises.
The squeak is, I think, a dry bearing in your fan pulley or the belt is slipping. Did you replace the belt by a new one?? Spray WD40 on the belt and see what will happen. WD40 on the pulley will stop the noise for a short time, it will need grease. If you listen closely you can hear it cry :Grease, Grease? Grease.
The second noise is you starter crank touching the pulley pin. Just pull the crank away from the pulley.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 10:29 am:

I believe Andre is dead on. Kevin there shouldn't be just a nut on the back of your fan shaft - the correct item is threaded but it's the base of a grease cup.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3970.aspx

Doesn't have to be a brass one but that's what it should look like. Might should also pick up a crank handle spring to keep crank ratchet pushed forward away from the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 10:53 am:

As a side note, the initial exchange in this thread is one of the things that I like about this forum. Someone in New Zealand posts a question about an engine noise and 47 minutes later, someone in Belgium posts an answer (which is then confirmed by someone in the United States). Ya gotta love it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Thanks Guys I'll check those areas and see if your right.
Dick your bang on, its the best part of owning a T, I have all these friends I've never met with so much experience its such a help.

I will post results after I check it out....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Kevin, the nut holding your fan shaft to the arm is correct for your application. Seth's photo is of the earlier type, which is lubricated with a greaser from the rear. Your aluminium pulley will have a brass threaded plug which is removed and then oiled. The fan is lubricated from the front.

Dry bushes will certainly squeal! If you need to replace them, make sure you have a good running clearance. The oil needs to get to them.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

Maybe my ears are getting old. The only noise I heard was a possible exhaust manifold gasket leak. Kind of a tut tut tut tut. I didn't hear any pulley squeak.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

Some more to check, the dry squeal could be the generator brushes, and maybe the crank pin on the front pulley is floating a bit as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 12:22 am:

There is a high pitch squeak Norman maybe the video doesn't show it right.
I sprayed the belt with no advantage.
Frank it had a strong noise coming from the Genny bushes when I first got the T and cleaning it up cured this so you maybe your on the right track but Alan I have placed a stethoscope on the Genny, fan hub etc and can't find the source using this method. I sprayed a bit of WD40 into the Genny as it was spinning and see how that goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 12:29 am:

Kevin, have you tried running it with the belt removed to see if the noise goes away?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Heffey New Zealand on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 02:55 am:

Hi Kevin. I had a noise very similar to this, on my Model A, that drove me crazy to the point that I thought I had run a bearing. I did all the same things as you with the fan, belt, generator and engine mounts. It was so loud I had to wear ear muffs while I was trying to find the source. I finally found that the gasket between the carb and manifold sucking air. I traced it by spraying CRC/WD40 on the joint. It's simple to check and worth a try. Andrew (Kapiti)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Funny you say that Andrew as I tried getting my ear around the engine without getting close to the fan and I felt it was louder down there. I did spray around the area as suggested but maybe the leak is underneath on the join?. Will try there, thanks.

John I could try that as it will remove doubt from that area.

Andre I had a noise the odd time like a loud tinny clunk and I though it sounded like something was getting picked up in the trans. It only happened twice after cornering and I think you may have solved it with your crank handle advice. I adjusted the spring and refitted the end into the small hole and it hasn't done it again...yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

Andrew you were right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwdfyPBn8G0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

So with a new gasket it's quiet, or were any flanges warped?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Roger I haven't changed it yet, its only been a few weeks since I fitted it so the gasket should be ok but I will remove and have a look.
I'm pleased to have found the source as it was a tricky one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

New gasket plus a thin layer of Gorilla snot each side of the gasket has done the trick. Slight marks of the carby face, both flanges looked to have straight edges.
Thanks Guys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

i love it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Heffey New Zealand on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 05:00 am:

I love the fact that after years of getting advice and help off this forum, I have finally been able to repay the favour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Thanks Andrew.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration