Rookie Question - Timing Cover Seal Around Crankshaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rookie Question - Timing Cover Seal Around Crankshaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

You know where the timing cover and engine pan have semi-circle cutouts which "seal" around the crankshaft immediately forward of the small timing gear? That's not a bearing or a sealing surface. How is it supposed to seal so that oil being slung by the timing gears doesn't gush out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Richard, I use these rope seals, they work really well.

https://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=rope%20seal&page=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

As with many Model T repairs, there are many ways to do it. Ford used felt up to the improved models in 1926/27, then maybe rope seal. Rope seal was also used on the Model A and it's available from A parts vendors like Snyder's. You just have to cut the larger A pieces a little, works better than felt. Though the felt is included in every complete gasket set.

If the sealing surface on the crank is nice, ground or repaired with a thin sleeve, then you can use a modern seal, glued in place with some gasket cement. A fitting modern seal is available from the vendors - though you must put it in place while the pan is off the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

OK, I see the rope seal in there now. It was so hard, flat and dirty when I took the pan and cover off it escaped me. This is my first foray into the guts of a T engine so I'm still learning all the intimate details. Thanks for the point in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Richard:
There are a LOT of T guys and gals in the Metroplex. Start with contacting Royce or Ted, both of whom post here and are very knowledgeable. There is a local chapter of this club in Dallas also. Make your contacts and watch stuff happen. Regards, Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Good to know! Thanks, Tim.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration