Old Photo - Early Ford Photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Early Ford Photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Oh my gosh!!! Great photos. Strange wheels with lots of bolts. It looks like vibration got the better of a side lamps.

Thanks for these.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

What model is this, N? I've never noticed the Ford script being on an angle like that before. How long were they done that way? Wonderful pictures Jay. Sure would be interesting to know the story behind them. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

I posted a link to this thread in the Early Ford Registry forum. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

1. Yes, a Model N Ford Runabout. (Note only the Model N had the step plate of the 1906-1908 Model N, R, S & SR series.)

2. If all the parts are original to the car:

2.a. An early Model N Ford as those wheels with the bolt together rims were offered early on and not later. Rob's Model N Runabout #3 had those style wheels originally when it was new. Or at least in a 1925 newspaper photo of his car.

2.b. The honey comb radiator was offered early on and not later. Ref page 14 of chapter 9 in "Pate's " 1906 Whitlock cellular core radiator. Those are also shown in the Nov 1906 of the Model N's being assembled in the Piquette Plant.

3. Note the early 1930s car across the street.

4. The parking brake rod runs above the axle so not the very earliest Model N where it went below the axle. But still with that radiator and wheels most likely a 1906.

5. Note the top irons come out the back of the front seats and not at the top of the front seats. Another item for the early 1906 cars verses the later 1907-08 cars.

6. Great photos Jay!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

The wheel/rims were called Firestone Mechanically Attached and not only are they different than other rims but they take a special tire that only fit them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:01 am:

It appears Ford used both style rims from the beginning of K and N production. Our N number three had the Firestone style while the first two N shown to the public (January, 1906) in N.Y. Appear to have both styles:

Model N inside the 69th Armory, N.Y. Auto Show, Jan 1906. "Firestone" style wheels:

Demonstrator N outside the armory, Louis Block, future branch manager, driving, with the other style wheel:

Our N, engine number 3. This photo was taken in 1925 at a Ford dealership. The wheels have the holes plugged where the retaining bolts were, with clincher rims now:

My guess is this is the same Model N seen demonstrating in N.Y., with Henry Ford in the passenger seat, in front of Piquette:

Closeup of front wheel:

Concerning radiators, it appears to me the first radiators were the vertical tube with independent cooling disks. One December 1906 chart I have lists "Whitlock" honeycomb radiator as the style for both the 1907 Model N and K. I don't know if they were using the 1906 specs, or if Ford intended to use the honeycomb into 1907 (or multiple styles, since Ford was about to build more cars than any other builder ever had in a one year period, and suppliers were unable to keep up). Early style radiator:

I don't know how long the large neck radiator was used, or if there was some overlap in styles. Our Model N has the later style radiator, however the hood had to be re-bent to somewhat fit the newer style radiator, as the "shoulders of the radiators are a little different height and angle. It looks as though the hood on the pics at the start of this thread might be the later hood, as the hood appears to be down on the hood shelves, but sits too high to fit the radiator properly?

(Message edited by Rob on January 21, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 08:23 am:

I see in the Model N # 3 photo, there is a dolly holding up the rear of the car. I guess they decided to move it outside for a photo without having to start the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Dave,
This photo was part of the promotion of a new Ford dealership located at Charlotte, NY. When we found this Model N, it was mostly unmolested, with original upholstery (unserviceable), a poor coat of green paint slathered over the original maroon, and original side curtains in the trunk over the after market rumble seat.
The N was well preserved, and it appears the original owners kept the car "up to date" including the aftermarket rumble seat, a horn with 1909 patent date, and aftermarket running boards and fenders. The transmission was out of commission, and I suspect that may have been the reason the car was on a floor jack for the photo (or the rear tires would not hold air):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 11:45 am:

The "other style" of rims are today referred to as plain clinchers. At the time they were Goodyears, will let you guess who supplied those wheel and tire assemblies to Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Thanks Rob. It's pretty cool that you have such an early number with known history and old photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Dave, my pleasure. If you noticed, the article refers to the model as "M" (typo?) and the writer and probably new Ford agent report this was Ford's first four cyl. car, not recalling Model B.

Layden, I thought (memory) Firestone was a primary wheel provider. This January 1905 Ford Canada import duty correspondence says both the clincher and Fiske style wheels are purchased from W. K. Pruden. My guess is the two chassis listed on the first page are models F and B:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration