Texas title

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Texas title
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

It's been a while back but somebody from Texas told how to get a title in Texas that sounded fairly easy. I'm about to need one and I can't find the old thread. This time I'll write it down. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 01:20 am:

Corey, I assume you mean getting a title when the seller / transferor could not give you a clean title, or you've taken possession of an abandoned car, etc? If so, the link below is what you need, and it has the forms also.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/bought-a-vehicle-with -no-title

When I did this several years ago, the NADA value (which they will want to use for your tax calculation) was stupid high, but they allowed me to use the VTR-125 Form shown in the link above to submit an appraisal for a more reasonable (lower) number. Any licensed dealer knowledgeable about old cars will do it for you, and probably only needs to see photos. I think I used Texas Classic Cars of Dallas, but any licensed dealer closer to you can do it. For the title bond, I used Jackie's Texas Auto Title in south Dallas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Take note of the "minimum appraised value". Looks like Texas will not title antique cars with a value less than $4,000.

The value of my car just went up! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Corey, you may be referring to a post I made a few months ago. We bought a '31 Model A woody last year with a bill of sale. (1.) I went to the DPS in Houston with the bill of sale and they gave me a "rejection letter" stating they couldn't issue a title based on the bill of sale. (2.) Then I took the rejection letter to my insurance agent and they issued a bond that protected my interest in the car based on the bill of sale. (3.) I then took the rejection letter and the bond, which cost me $100.00, to the car registration office and they registered the car and I had a Texas Title shortly after that. The Title has the word, "Bonded" on the face of it. However, the Bonded Title is just as negotiable as any other. After 3 years you can return the title to the County office, pay a $30.00 fee and they remove the word, "Bonded" and issue a new title. All of that took less than half a day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Cory, I went through the process of getting a Title here in Texas for my 21 Touring a few months ago. I didn't have any kind of a bill of sale, title or any documentation that the car was mine other than my word. Nothing.

If you don't have anything I would do what Richard Black advised in Dallas and use a bonded title service.

I used Classic Auto Title in Southlake Texas.
I did everything over the phone. I had to use the local DMV to have the cars engine serial no. verified as not being stolen. When titling an antique or any car it needs to be verified as not being stolen when no documentation is available.
The cost was $40.00.

Once I did that Classic auto title did the rest.

It took about 6 weeks to get it done.

I recommend them as they saved me all the hassle and legalities of not having a title for an almost 90 year old car.

Classic Auto Title
L.Palmer@ClassisAutoTitle.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

I'm getting ready to get a title for a Model A rolling chassis. Here's the hassle. Take car to Highway Patrol Inspector office. They run the engine number to check for theft. And that will be 55.00$ please. Get your piece of paper and head to the county. Take your 55.00 paper, bill of sell, any parts receipts AND your check book.

You go home bow legged from getting the shaft, but you know your title is in the mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been working on my car for what seems like forever. I've got one more fender and a turtle deck to paint and I'll be ready to drive to town. I'll sit on springs until I can afford upholstery. I'll have to save to get a title too sounds like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 01:40 am:

OK, wait a second folks. What works in KS does not work in CA, and likely doesn't work in TX. Just because your state does things one way does not mean the next state over does anything the same way.
Corey, I'd pay attention to what John is suggesting. Sometimes it's better to spend a little money and save yourself some possible REAL headaches. And this from a guy who is so cheap he squeaks! I actually paid a service for my last title & things went like greased lightning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Classic Auto Title at the DFW swap meet this weekend:

Hello, Antique and Classic Car Guys!

Classic Auto Title will be featured at DFW Swap Meet at Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie I-30 @ Belt Line on Friday and Saturday, January 22 & 23 from 8am-5pm

Finally some good weather expected for this weekend! I'll help you get your title paperwork together so you can finally OWN that project car, whether you want to sell it or drive it! Stop by the end of Row 16, Spaces 1-4 and say "hi", so we can talk about your title needs.

Come meet my friend Larry Machacek, who will be joining me with his old license plates and replica inspection stickers - very cool. He has quality stuff you'll want to check out. We are now set up for payment by credit and debit cards for all your lien research, VIN look up and bonded title needs. And to all our happy customers: please stop by, remind me your name, and tell me how it went!

Please check out our website: www.classicautotitle.com

Best regards,
Leesy Palmer

Classic Auto Title
2225 W. Southlake Blvd, Suite 423-168
Southlake, TX 76092
214-697-8948 direct
L.palmer@classicautotitle.com
www.classicautotitle.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

My experience is it helps to get the right person at the DMV. Someone that wants to help you can make things go smoothly. If you get a bunch of static you need to try another location or another day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:50 am:

I've titled a couple of T's in Texas by showing up at the DMV with a bill of sale and a inspection slip from a certified Texas State Inspection location. I then tell the person behind the counter that the car was purchased on bill of sale, because the car was last sold before the State of Texas started issuing titles after WWII. I also bring a certificate of insurance from JC Taylor that has a VIN number that matches the VIN on the bill of sale, and the VIN number on the State Inspection white sheet. By the way the "White Sheet" VIN verification costs $1 so be sure that you have enough money to pay when the car is inspected.

Usually the person behind the counter has to call Austin, or talk to a supervisor. Then they issue a "new title" which is applicable to cars that have never been titled previously.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration