Coil overhaul

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coil overhaul
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Well, I've done my first coil. It works, alive and kicking according to the ECCT. only read "poor" before as did the other 3 coils.

Now for the other 3 coils, work permitting, I'm on nightshift at the moment so the awake hours are limited.

P.S. Don't heat the tar on the kitchen stove it creates a terrible stink. Moved outside and used a portable gas (butane) stove. It's lucky I live alone as the dogs don't care. Also, I'm using the dining table as my work bench. :-)

(Message edited by adminchris on January 20, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

Show us a close up photo of the marking on the side of that Capacitor?
Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Ron,

Two pics for you, the 'workbench' and the capacitor.

On a side note, the old capacitor had come away from its top panel so wasn't actually connected.

Paul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Fun job, esp melting the tar! :-) I found the best way is to do a group of coils in one sitting. A little more work digging the tar out but after that the work goes fast and you only have to melt one batch of tar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Mark,

All the coils have had the tar removed but, due to time constraints, I can only do a coil at a time. I'll reuse the tar pot so won't waste much tar.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Stamp your name and the date inside the coil if you have stamps. It will be a nice surprise for someone someday! I think you better get the right capacitors though ....

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Garnet,

I have marked the inside of the back cover. Aren't they the right capacitors? I bought them from one of the main US suppliers.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

Paul
Thanks, those capacitors are just fine.
Ron Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

Why not prep them all for tar and do them all at once? Also you can build up the now open space where the old cap was with small wood blocks then re fill. I've always had enough tar to do a good job using just what I pulled out of the coils. Never needed to buy any. I use a tin can with a vice grip handle and a propane torch to heat mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 06:23 am:

Paul,
I am glad to see I am not the only one working on the dinner table.
The only thing I am missing is your assistant. You need to look for one. I have mine and he is doing a great job.

Just enjoy and good luck with the overhaul.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter, Lithgow, NSW Australia on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Andre, my two assistants are useless! (Two dogs, whippets). I think you have much better assistants!

Ron, thanks for confirming I have the correct capacitors, Garnet's throw away line got me worried.

Charlie, I'm on nightshift at the moment and just don't have the time to do them all at once, also, I have never done one before so this was my test. I plan to do another when I get home later this morning.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Not having had opportunity to see the newer style capacitors firsthand I must apologize Paul.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Paul
Just wanted to be sure.
For over 30 years Model T coil rebuilders have been tripped up using seemingly correct, but wrong capacitors. I believe this is one reason original coils have inappropriately gotten a bad reputation.
I can assure you the ones you are using are correct type construction, value and dV/dT rating and will work well for another 90 years.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Just saying pour the tar for all of them at once. Thought one heat up would be easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 11:48 am:

One thing I have learned is to put a strip of masking type tape around the inside edge where the top slides in. Keeps the tar out of the groove.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration