Old Photo - Postcard Of Model K Ford Post Marked Aug. 1909

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Postcard Of Model K Ford Post Marked Aug. 1909
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 12:15 am:

For Rob: Don't know if you've seen this one before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 12:20 am:

Jay,
Thank you for thinking of me. Unfortunately, although it's advertised as such, it's not a Model K. I believe Herb or others have posted it before, and some have identified the car.
Thank you again for your posts,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Oh well, it sure looked like one to me with as much as I know from seeing one in the flesh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Same car, different occupants:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

I cannot remember what the car is/was. Very neat looking car, however, and probably right about 1908.
It is clearly a "studio" shot, probably a traveling setup at county fairs and such. There were likely hundreds of photos taken of that car, with different people in it. I wonder how many photos may survive?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

Looks like a 1908 Cartercar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

It does look a lot like a 1909 Cartercar Model G. These were first made in 1908 but were probably not a 1908 model. At the start of the 1908 model year Cartercar declared that the 1908 models were to be unchanged from the 1907 models because it did not "feel that its previous product can be improved." Apparently they later felt that the Model G was an improvement and it was added to the model list sometime later in 1908 and was part of the 1909 model lineup. 1909 was the last year for the 2 cylinder models (in passenger cars) which were direct descendants of the original 2 cylinder model A which was introduced in 1905-6.
g1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

In "the day" folks would go to a photographer's studio to get their photograph made. A popular thing was to have it printed on postcard stock.
That is what you are seeing here.

The studio would have one auto used over and over. The same car would therefore show up in similar photos with unrelated folks in the seats.

The give-away is the painted road scene in the background on the first postcard above. The second photo has the same car (similar bent right front fender) with no background art work... you can see a wall, baseboard, scrap board or door leaning against the wall. But the car and camera are in the same position.

Could even have been done at a county fair or studio. It just may be that the couples shown in the car might not be able to afford such a nice automobile, but they sure can afford the status of being photographed in a nice car!

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration