Trailering with E Track and Tire webs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Trailering with E Track and Tire webs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Would like to hear experiences from folks who have used E Track and Tire Webs for retaining a "T" in an enclosed trailer...

If the Track is spaced at 56", is the track recessed into the floor (flush) or do you mount on top of the floor and the tire sits up on top of it?

Thanks very much.

scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 10:15 am:

I have mine mounted on top of the wood floor BUT I also installed gussets under the floor using bolts & nuts and drive the T right on top of the e track and use my wheel nets - have hauled quite many a mile with this arrangement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Hi Scott.
How have u been? I noticed u haven't changed your profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Hi Richard

We're just fine...how about you? We have finally found a nice tow vehicle...1996 7.3L Diesel with 82K miles on it...rides like brand new. Now looking for a trailer to start hauling cars out west. Still in FL for right now...

best regards...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Steve

thanks for the encouraging info. I felt that gussets would be a smart thing and am sure you were right to consider that...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

The way I mounted the track, you could roll the trailer over and the T would still be tied down !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Scott,
The trailer I bought from Royal Cargo has the E-track recessed in the floor. It is welded to each floor support member and runs the complete length of the floor. There are two E-tracks spaced apart just inside where each vehicle tire would travel. I use 4 ratchet tie down straps and individual axle straps to secure each car. Because I use my trailer to carry a number of different length cars, I find it easier using this method to secure the cars. The ratchet straps/e-track latches normally stay attached in the same locations no matter what car is being transported. I simply adjust the ratchet strap length as necessary.
I like the tire Webs for open trailers but consider them a hassle to install in side an enclosed trailer due to the restricted space between the vehicle and trailer wall/wheel wells.

MHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

I have the same setup as Steve - E-Track and Wheel Nets. I like that setup because the cars natural suspension is still in play and there is no strain on the axles.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

>I have the same setup as Steve - E-Track and Wheel Nets. I like that setup because the cars natural suspension is still in play and there is no strain on the axles.

Ditto for me. Years ago I used tie down straps over the axles and under the d.s. only to discover that when I arrived at the tour my drive shaft spool had broken... end of tour AND an early spool.

That is when I switched to wheel nets and E track.

I installed the e-track on my trailer's wooden deck and had to use a 3 lb. sledge to hook in and remove the attachments. When I had to replace the deck eventually I put a gap under the tracks. Now fitting the attachments is easy-piezy (technical term) and the track no longer collects pine needles, leaves and schmutz (another technical term). The tracks are now self cleaning and do not contribute to future wood rot.

I strongly suggest this mounting method if you are using an open trailer.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Where did you find the E-Tracks and wheel nets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jahn Wright - Rio Rancho NM on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

One source for these and other trailering accessories is Mac's Custom Tie Downs.
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

They are available in many trailer stores. I got mine from a regular vendor at the Turlock swap meet (coming up in about two weeks... the vendor I use is located about 20 feet from Erik Barrett's space).

It has been pointed out that I don't have enough bolts in my track. I will be beefing it up, I still have the steel backing brackets I made for the original set-up and will re-install them. I mostly use this for pulling my gyroplane around, and that weighs in at less than 800 lbs. For heavy hauling (model T and bigger stuff) I agree more steel attaching is needed.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Note that in my photo I show two different track styles. I bought them at different times from different swap meet vendors. I seem to remember they were around $8 each, both are good quality and work equally well.

I feel surface mount like I have done is easiest and the cars don't seem to mind the little 1/4" or so bump above the floor.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 06:12 am:

I'd like to sincerely thank all who have replied with photos and comments.

Just for information, I have discovered product called L-Track or "VersaTrack" which is in use in the airline and logistics industries. Somewhat different than eTrack, but similar application. It can be flush mounted, and I am also considering this as well. In any event, I'm convinced that a track system and tire basket is the way I intend to proceed.

Thanks again, to all...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:35 am:

I just ordered my 20 foot enclosed trailer a few weeks ago. I ordered it with e-track in the floor. It is recessed in the floor and sealed underneath. It is supposed to have a four inch flat bar welded to the floor sills and then the e-track is welded to the flat bar. I spaced it at the width of the model T tires, and full length of the box. Installed cost was 240.00 extra. I hope it works out as good as I hope it will. I was hoping someone would chime in with comments about the tire baskets and types they used. Im also planning on adding a couple rows of e-track on the walls later. One question I have about e-track is , can you pull sideways or diagonal to the track or do you only need to pull straight with the tracks. They sell the e-track ring type attachments that swivel so I think a angle pull is OK.. have fun and be safe ... Donnie Brown ...

(Message edited by dobro1956 on January 21, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Be sure your wheel nets are a proper fit for Model T wheels.

The ones on this rental trailer were for modern wheels, and they were useless. No matter how carefully they were applied, and how tight, they were always off at the next stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

I found some fully adjustable wheel nets (blue).
The common ones are the yellow ones.
As Steve says - useless on a Model T.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Steve

this worked just fine for a 2500 mile trip...note the duct tape (wrapped once with sticky side "out" followed by sticky side "in" so that no mucilage got on the wheel or tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Scott's idea gets the Red Green seal of approval!

red

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

HAHA

more like this...an old picture before I let my beard grow out...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Bob, do you remember where you found the adjustable wheel baskets. I have only seen the yellow style that are not adjustable. The yellow ones may fit a little better on my 21 inch tires on the 26-27 ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

try these guys...they'll custom make them for you...

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/category/WheelNets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

A friend of mine has his E Z track off center towards the drivers side. He pulls in the trailer slightly to the left and has more room to get out of the model T once in the trailer. The car being off center in the trailer seem to make no difference in towing or balance etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Donnie,

I got them here - $32 each

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Towing-Auto-Hauling/Wheel-Nets-Auto-Car-Tie-Downs/ Wheel-Net-Car-Tie-Down-w-Twisted-Snap-Hook-Dbl-Adj-w-Ratchet_1?whence=

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Bob, Thanks, That is what I was looking for. Four of those should hold the T in place :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

I absolutely love the basket straps. Mine fit any car, modern or model T. They even fit onto the dirt bike tires I use on my gyroplane.

The secret to get the best tie downs follows:

1. I recommend doing it like I did. Get basket straps set up with hooks on the ends so that they can be used on any trailer, with or without e track. Friends will borrow them so versatile is better.
  2. Look for three piece straps, First piece: long strap with welded metal ring on one end and other end fits onto ratchet, Second piece: webbing loop which lays on top of the tire (short and wide webbing, basket loop), Third piece: short strap with loop sewn on one end and hook on the other. This style will fit any tire.
  3. Make sure you get a strap which has the top basket strap loose on the long strap, the sewn ones (yellow in the photo above) will only fit one size tire.
  4. Make sure all hooks have a safety closure, open hooks can come loose and are dangerous.
  5. If you get hardware (ratchets) which end in an e-clip you can only use them on e-track. I get hook ends and a selection of different e-clips so I can tie down a variety of different body style cars... ie, my Model T set up wouldn't work on my MGTC.
  6. The above photo which talked about the yellow tie downs was correct regarding the design of the straps, the color means nothing. My really nice straps are yellow but are not the poorly designed kind with the sewn basket straps like in the above photo.

It is tempting to think you will only carry your model T. Chances are that you may end up adding a TT or some other antique to your stable in the future so the ability to fasten down in various different ways is an advantage.

Practice with the basket straps to get them on properly. If you know how to do it, and you didn't get the cheap all sewn together straps, you will be able to safely tie down any car.

I can go out and photograph my straps for you, but you can probably search and find my photo on some older posts... this had been discussed before.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Terry, thanks for the input. I believe the ones Bob has shown in the link above should be good ones. Im like you and like the hooks on both ends. I will be getting some of the e-track 6 inch straps with d-ring on one end and e-track on the other end. I also plan on buying about a dozen of the good quality e-track fittings with the o-ring on them. and probably will get at least 4 of the e-track fittings with the swivel O-ring. With all the fittings I can still use all the straps I already have. The e-track fittings are pretty reasonable in price. I can hardly wait till the trailer shows up. We will probably have a foot of snow and ice when it is ready :-( thanks again Donnie Brown ...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration