New (day) Product

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New (day) Product
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Coming soon: Tip Top Timers is reproducing the venerable New Day Timer, in proper bakelite. Estimated delivery time, about one month.

Should be available soon from your favorite dealer.

newday

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

My favorite timer! Good on you for taking on this project!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JOHN BEVARDOS on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

excellent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

My Favorite timer To!
Do well and prosper Tip Top Timers!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 05:26 pm:

Is it really black, or does it just look black in the picture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leck - Ohio on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Nice to hear, are the new brushes going to be better than what is currently offered as replacements? I ran the original Bakelite New Day for the last year (600 miles) and had no trouble with the timer, just the brushes. Now I'm trying the other "new" brush timer this year. Still keep the New Day as a spare in the toolbox, so I'd be interested in getting a new brush if they are improved. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

GREAT NEWS!

My (old) New Day timers have been very trouble-free. I like them better than rollers and Andersons. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Finally someone is remaking New Days with good materials!
With all the general good reviews that's on the forum about New Days it was bound to happen.
Thanks a bunch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Jeff, they are pretty dark. The one I had for a sample was also very dark. The era timers that I have seen vary in shade from very dark to a reddish brown.

The brushes are different from what is currently available and also patterned off the era timer. There have been several runs of these over the years. Gaslight Auto Parts made them in the 70's, and they had a copper brush with a brass element. Often the element would not retract into the holder far enough and the timer would do the hula-hula. It would also do the hula-hula if the cam gear was too thick. Another problem with these copper brushes was that the timing pin slot was mis-timed. I know folks that broke their arm because of this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Great project :-)
Was it possible to locate the tooling from some earlier production run, or is it all new?

Tom, what's your opinion on the best material for the brush? Carbon may save the timer from wear, but will perhaps wear out rather quick. Bronze may last longer, but when the brush has worn out, then maybe the timer shell also needs some milling?
The strength of the brush spring is another variable.. Will there be options?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Tom, Many years ago I used some New Day timers. It looks like you have copied the design that works. I know you will make a good quality product. I just might try one even though I love the reliability of the different style I now use.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

SWEET!!! My favorite timer too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

One other thing that I forgot to mention. The price will probably be lower than most any timer on the market today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

That is fantastic news!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Z , Candlewood Lake, CT on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

YES!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

I have an old New Day on my Tudor that is nearly worn out......Just in time. I'll take a couple! Thanks Tom.

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Tom:
It's about time! I don't know where the molds have been all these years, but I'm glad you have them, and I also hope you have road tested the hell out of them. I have never run any thing but New Days for over 50 years. They only need an air hose about every 3 years to blow out the dust. Perhaps you can even reproduce the box! If not I have 4 NORS ones. Way to go! I also think that some of the repros got the timing off on that brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Tom:
It's about time! I don't know where the molds have been all these years, but I'm glad you have them, and I also hope you have road tested the hell out of them. I have never run any thing but New Days for over 50 years. They only need an air hose about every 3 years to blow out the dust. Perhaps you can even reproduce the box! If not I have 4 NORS ones. Way to go! I also think that some of the repros got the timing off on that brush. Are you going to come up with the screws too, and the little envelope they put them in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 01:51 am:

Guess I should sell the rest of my NOS ones before the word gets out. I'm afraid the price will take a nose dive!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 02:18 am:

Good news Tom! Did the radiator patterns arrive ok?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 08:51 am:

My favorite timer also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 09:36 am:

They are a really good timer.I have one that I ran for ten years and didn't touch it.I finally wiped it out and put it back on,and it is still running.I recently found a NOS one. Good luck with these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:52 am:

That's great news, Tom. When I got my first Model T (1971), the timer of choice for all of the knowledgeable guys around here was the New Day. There have been several others which were in favor from time to time since then, but I expect a properly-made New Day would work as well today as they ever did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

The timers will of course come with screws. They will probably be sold in the typical white Tip Top Timer box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Tom , when will they be available and what is the cost ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

@Travis Melnick
"Estimated delivery time, about one month."

"The price will probably be lower than most any timer on the market today."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Thanks Mike !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 09:02 am:

They oughta' sell like hotcakes at Chickasha. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:02 am:

Tom

They will probably be sold in the typical white Tip Top Timer box

Oh..now...you could add a two color adhesive label to that plain little box :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Tom:

I am surprised that nobody is complaining about the price yet even though you haven't stated what it is ha ha. I loved the New Day timer and I always felt it was the best timer but with an undeserved bad reputation brought about by inept manufacturing and poor research into the problems it was wrongly accused of causing.

I ran a New Day for years without issue. Shortly after putting a fresh one on my T many years ago I decided it was time to overhaul the motor and that was not because of it running bad but it was just blowing a lot of blue smoke and the motor had over 40K miles on it. When I put the new motor back in the T I simply put the same NEW DAY back on it and it wobbled like crazy. I thought that the cam was installed wrong but that wasn't really the issue. It turned out that the maker of the cam gear had decided to make the hub thicker by about .100" and that pushed the cam nut forward along with the NEW DAY brush and that was the issue. Unfortunately this was not immediately obvious and about the same time a different maker for the ND took over and decided to solve the problem (before knowing what the problem really was) by making the housing deeper by about .100 rather than actually finding out what was wrong and for good measure it seems they also decided to make it out of softer material. Now if you had a normal cam gear then the brush was now too deep but the housing also was more likely to hit the fan belt and on and on. Most people including me switched to the Anderson timer during the ND confusion because I could not get a good new NEW DAY timer made correctly out of correct material. I found later that the brush was not sitting against the shoulder on the cam but I could grind a notch in the back of the brush to allow it to sit in the correct spot and it worked again. I am looking forward to getting one of your timers and returning to my "roots" which included the ND. Good for you in making it again. I personally would like to shoot the guy who changed the cam gear that started the problem in the first place. It was not being made to Factory drawing which generally results in some issue unforeseen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 10:04 am:

In a January 24th thread titled Timer Problems there was an issue with 2 New day timers. After looking at the timers it appears that the cam gear nut, washer or something was causing the brush to wear into the New Day's case.

Could it be that the engine had one of those thicker cam gears?
We'll probably never know but whatever it was that caused the wear its another example of something being not right with the assembly or engine parts and not the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:35 am:

I discovered the thick fiber timing gear problem years ago, and filed a notch in the brush to allow the brush to seat against the shoulder as it should. It wasn't New Days fault! Lately I've been using aluminum timing gears, and I guess they must have the correct thickness for the camshaft hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:44 am:

That thick gear problem is still prevalent today. Tip Top Timers mfg. and sells a narrow brush for their Anderson to compensate for a thick timing gear. It should be noted for anyone installing a cam nut if the shoulder on the camshaft doesn't extend beyond the cam retaining nut, the gear or the cam nut need to be narrowed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Kim, the patterns arrived, thank-you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 01:26 am:

It is pretty simple to make a label to stick on the box and not too hard to print the box. The problem with making the box is cutting and folding them in to box shape. On the other hand you can usually hire some girl that will cut them and fold them for a buck apiece, if she makes one every five minutes she's making twelve bucks an hour.

When I was printing Herman and Freida and selling lots of them Ashley inserted the color pages and assembled the signature, I bought an electric comb binder and we could make a dozen copies an hour and have time to talk and load the printer with paper, etc. She got paid $1.50 each and made $20 an hour more than once. Pretty good money for a 12 or 13 year old.

It is easy to print a box sticker, just scan a good box, print it on label paper, cut it and put it on the box. Wouldn't cost hardly anything. Kinkos or somebody like would do them and they would probably cut them to size, too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration