Universal transmission Ricardo cyl head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Universal transmission Ricardo cyl head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Connor on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

I lost my Dads model T speedster in the Valley fire I am trying to find pricing information for a Universal transmission and a Ricardo cylinder head. I am trying to recover the loss from the insurance company. Hoping to start building another speedster soon. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

James, The subject of aftermarket heads has come up many times in recent years on the Forum. Prices, as I remember, vary from $250 to $350 depending on brand of head and condition. We're talking about flatheads, not OHV's. They are a completely different 'animal'. Prices for these type of parts are really volatile, though, with the price depending on what the current market will bear. I, once paid $250. for a Ricardo, knowing that it needed repair and once the repair and shipping were figured in, I had $500. in it which I'll never see probably in my lifetime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Connor on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Thanks Terry! Hard to price out stuff that was made in the teens. Its priceless to me, but the insurance company doesn't agree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

I have a Universal transmission on my '13 touring. I really like it, as it allows my to preserve my "clamshell" rear axle while having 4 speeds. I would consider it to be worth equal to a Ruckstell in dollar value

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

In my opinion a really nice Wau Ricardo head should be in the $500 area if you are trying to settle for insurance loss!!! Good luck John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

I would be surprised that a Waukasha Richardo head would be destroyed by fire. It would likely need to be re-surfaced if it got red hot. It is possible, but unlikely for cast iron to melt in a building fire less than three story in size. It does depend upon the specific flammable materials present. And iron can sometimes crack from uneven heating. Survival of the Universal Transmission is iffy. Universal used brass castings which melt at a lower enough temperature to maybe melt in a garage fire.
Saddened to hear of your losses regardless. Sometimes, it isn't just the dollar value of things. Especially when there is a connection to a father or grandfather.
Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Connor on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Thank-you all for your valuable information!You guys are great! I had a Z head on the car which melted into the block, the Ricardo head cracked during the intense heat. The second floor collapsed onto the garage and really flattened everything! The transmission housings didn't melt, I will have to look inside to see what the bearings look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

The universal was made of Bronze actually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Quite true! And a mistake I make quite often.
James C, I do wonder if your Ricardo head could be repairable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Connor on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

I am going to try and save the head and the transmission! I will see if I can post some pics later!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration