5 or 6 Day Work Week.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 5 or 6 Day Work Week.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

I am trying to estimate the approximate date my 1916 car was assembled. Did Ford work a 5 or 6 day workweek in 1916.

My T : 1916 Touring 1,253,721

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Be zero...

May 1, 1926 started the 5 day week for factory workers only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

Motor number 1,235,721 corresponds to May 19, 1916 according to Bruce McCalley's black book.

Determining when the car itself rolled off the assembly line is a different matter. It also depends at which branch the car was assembled.

An individual's work week is not relevant. For example, the Detroit factory was typically open seven days a week. For example, on May 30, 1916 the factory was closed. Also, no motor numbers correspond to May 14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

May 14, 1916 was a Sunday (also Mother's day), and May 30 was a Tuesday (Decoration day).

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1916&country=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Thanks all.

I estimated May 20th - May 19th it is.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

If the factory ever operated seven days a week the serial number records don't show it. During the peak production years no numbers are shown for Sundays. Later production numbers are shown only for Monday through Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Somewhere, I found a list of serial numbers and the day they were assembled into automobiles. It gave the number for the beginning serial number for a assembly day. For example, my 1916 touring has engine number 1,309,287, casting date 17 June, 1916. It happened to also be the first car assembled on 20 June 1916. If I could only remember where that second date came from!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

Thanks for pointing that out.

I was looking at the days of the month so fast in the black book I didn't notice.

Now that I look again, I see it.

For May 1916, no serial numbers on the 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th, all Sundays. Also closed on the 30th.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration