OT - 110 years ago

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - 110 years ago
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

One hundred ten years ago this week, the New York auto shows were being held. Ford Motor Company had two new models that received considerable attention. While the idea of a $500 four cylinder runabout created a sensation, the six cylinder, dual ignition 40 hp touring car also garnered considerable attention as one of the only U. S. made six cylinder cars on the market, and at $2500, considerably less expensive than the next nearest six cyl. competitor at $4200.

Ford display, 69th armory, January 1906:

Photo courtesy of THF, all rights apply

One Model N was on display at the booth along with a Model K, K chassis, and Model F. The Model N below was driven at several 1906 auto shows by Louis Block (driver). Block, would later become a Ford Branch Manager. I believe this was the only operable Model N, and production sales wouldn't begin until mid summer:

Meanwhile, Henry Ford and Frank Kulick were at the show briefly, before taking a train to Ormond Beach (Daytona) to enter the Ford six cylinder racer in the annual international speed contests:

Headlines and photos like these appeared in newspapers across the country:

All in all, a special time for Henry Ford and his company. I wonder if any of them suspected what the next ten years would bring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

I remember that show very well That is me in the upper photo trying to strike a deal o the Model N but they refused to include GPS, turn signals, stereo, and delay windshield wipers so we never came to an agreement. I did however get a ride with Louis as you show in the third picture. I still won't talk to Henry because he refused to add the options I requested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

I'm not picky. I'll take that beautiful Model K Touring as is. When can I take delivery?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

I agree, I would take either the K or N, even the Model F would be nice.... :-)

This what "Motor World" wrote about the two new Ford models in the advance issue of to the show:

Both the licensed (A.L.A.M.) and unlicensed shows were held in close proximity. The list of car makers at each show:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration