Drive plate crack? pic.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Drive plate crack? pic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

I have a plate with a crack [looks to me]I was wondering if it could be used as is
Thank you Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

That looks like a casting flaw, not a true crack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

How does the other side look? Does it go all the way through?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

I agree with Jack. Would be an odd place for a crack to start and end in the middle of an object. If it started at a rivet hole, then that would make more sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:00 am:

I would at least check it with a dye penetrant. A crack like that can extend well past what is readily visible. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:02 am:

Norman Can t see other side Its between rivets
pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:06 am:

run it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 03:34 am:

If it runs to the rivet holes it may not spread as the rivet holes are effectively drilling the crack ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 09:25 am:

I wonder if that is in fact a "forging blister" that often appears on the surface of some of the larger forged parts. These are really not a crack but more of a crevice in the surface that is caused by the metal being folded back upon itself during the forging process. If you then cut the surface via machining over one of those spots you will get a "crack" like the thing in your picture. Ford seemed to not be concerned about them since you will find them on many of their larger forged parts if you look close. They never appear to be a crack all the way through the metal like a typical stress crack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Not a problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration