Correct color

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Correct color
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

Does anyone know the correct shade of grey for a 1909 Model T Runabout? How can I find out?
I would like to get as correct as possible.

Thanks,
Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

From the Encyclopedia May not be exact, but about as close as is known.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/P-R.htm#paint1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:23 am:

This may not help but, I recently saw such a car at the OCF. I ask the owner if his totally correct looking car was the correct shade of grey and he said yes. I don't know if you can find him or not but, a good example of your car is out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:37 am:

I tried to scan the DuPont 72092 color chip but the colors are a little off to the blue side. (On my computer.) I know this by comparing the gray on the chip under the 72092 with the booklet. This is close and the fact that it is a "standard" DuPont color should make it easy for a paint shop to mix.

The A after the number in the encyclopedia signifies Acrylic (single stage). If you want the color in two-stage (BC/CC), the suffix would be K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Before you spend megabucks for paint, get a pint or whatever the minimum quantity they'll mix, mixed and spray it on something. that way you can see it in various lights and see what it looks like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Robbie

Don't know the proper code or mix. But asked an owner of a nice 1909 mother-in-law runabout at the Amelia Island Concourse back a few years ago, as his 1909 in Grey looked great.

He said he used 1980 Ford Thunderbird Dove Grey.

I was building this 1909 'clone', using later T parts, but with the look of a true 1909 as far as little $ possible :-) So that is what I had mixed in DuPont Centari acrylic enamel. Frame and body painted with it.
DuPont code C8065 or Ditzer PPG code 3295

Think that shade is real nice, and best of all....its a Ford approved color :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

Dan,
Your car almost looks white in the pictures.
Is it a really light gray?
Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Dan Treace,
I ordered a spray bomb can of Dove Gray paint using the paint code you provided. I really like the shade. It surprised me because I really don't like gray. I feel a lot better about going correct with the color now.
Thanks,
Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:21 pm:

Robbie

Great! The Dove grey is a nice shade. Looks good in the sun or in low light, kinda changes with the lighting. And gloss black trim stands out on it the best IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

That brass looks good against the Gray color!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Robbie,

If you have not already done so, I would recommend ordering a copy of the original shipping document (also referred to as “production record”) from the Benson Ford Archives for you car (use the engine number). The cost is $20 and it helps support the museum & archives. See: http://www.thehenryford.org/research/productionRecords.aspx and you can order any shipping document between engine serial number 1,119 to 70,920. Information below is from that page:
How can I order production card information?
• There is a $20.00 per serial number charge.
• Provide your serial number, make, model and body type (for Lincolns), and contact information.
• Payment may be made either by check payable to “The Henry Ford” or by credit card.
Benson Ford Research Center
P.O. Box 1970
Dearborn, MI 481821-1970
research.center@TheHenryFord.org
Fax: (313) 982-6244

You have already shared that the body was replaced but the shipping document will often contain additional details. For example at: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/doc11.htm

Note there was at least 1 red Roadster (or marked red on the document) serial number 2,585 was manufactured Apr 27, 1909.

And on May 28, 1909 engine number 3,916 was the first green painted roadster that I saw in Bruce McCalley's abbreviated listing (he was listing about every 100th car by that time). And there were lots of other gray roadster listed following that with another one listed on the shipping document as green manufactured on Jun 19, 1909 #5,208. But there is a note in Bruce's book that the owner of the car stated it had been gray in color and not green. The last gray roadster I saw listed was Jun 23, 1909 #5,450.

The shipping document could give you some other good information (type carb, coil box, type of gas lamps).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Maybe I'm partial to gray.....Dixie, the '27 touring is a real rebel in gray with red wheels :-)

This gray is WWI Battleship gray!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Hap,
I did order the shipping document from Benson Ford a few years ago. It is good that those documents are still available.
It was very informative and worth the small fee charged.
It was Gray originally. I just thought it would look like primer gray but it actually is very nice.

Thanks Hap,

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, February 12, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Robbie,

Thanks for the update. Most of the shipping documents listed dealers but a few of the early ones list an individual and a city. If your document has an individual and city listed, there is a slim chance you could contact the local historical society and find out some additional information about the original owner. Slim chance -- but might be worth a look. In 1909 especially in smaller towns out west -- that may have been the first car in town.

Good luck with your roadster.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration