Cam Heel-to-Toe Specs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cam Heel-to-Toe Specs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:35 am:

I see in the Club's Engine Restoration Guide that the heel-to-toe height on all the cam lobes should be within .005 of each other, but I can't seem to find anywhere what the minimum allowable heel-to-toe height is. Does anyone know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:39 am:

Do you mean the cam lift? IIRC it's .250"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:55 am:

I guess I should say heel-to-nose rather than heel-to-toe.

Heel-to-Nose = Cam Lift + Base Circle Diameter

So if cam lift is 0.250, I would need the base circle spec also.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

Richard, Measure the cam skinny and then wide. Do the math and you will have your lift. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Black - Dallas on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Found it! Factory Base Circle Radius = 0.4060

Thanks mtfctulsa...

http://mtfctulsa.com/Cams/design_stock.htm

So,

Factory Heel-to-Nose = 2 x 0.4060 + 0.2502 = 1.0622

Mine measure out at an average of 1.0540

I'm calling this good enough for government work. It was unlikely I would find significant cam wear. Just trying to be thorough while the guts are out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Cameltoe spec's?... Uh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

Those Cameltoe specs seem tight.... (sorry, couldn't resist...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration