Old Photo - Brass Era - Towncar Parked In Front Of The Detroit Athletic Club

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Brass Era - Towncar Parked In Front Of The Detroit Athletic Club
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 01:24 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 02:32 am:

I saw of these in my town last week...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Both look like '15 models. What is with the narrow rear door in the second photo? I'd say the guy riding in the back is getting cheated and would have to be real skinny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Dave,got any more pics of that car?? Charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:25 am:

Charley, are you sure you're talking to me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Is it me or is the passenger door in Jay's photo wider.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Looks a LOT wider Warren! Good eye! I'd love to have one of these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Here is an early one at a bargain price on Craigslist.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/atq/5407388254.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Also the Landau-let Bow seems much straighter in the first photo. I'm thinking they must be different years. Dose anyone know for sure what years they are?

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 10:00 am:

oops!i meant Kevin. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 10:03 am:

It may be an optical illusion or camera angle. The B&W photo is taken from far away. The color photo is taken way close. Look at the relative length of the running boards on both cars. Also look at how distorted the rear wheel is on the color car compared to the front wheel.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:32 am:

Keith, I agree, distorted photo. Obviously the overall length would be the same on both cars, yet everything from the drivers compartment to the convertible top is shorter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:00 pm:

The Craigslist car is a well known true early original. I think that the only rarer car is a Laundaulet.

It is well known that the front seat of a town car is horribly tight. I'm thinking that this one may be a reproduction with space from the rear seat taken for the drivers compartment. I know there is a town car in New Zealand made by it's owner and painted maroon/black, I think it was made from a touring, this may be it. The owner did a fantastic job on the NZ car.

Here is a factory photo:

TH

(Message edited by thorlick on January 22, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

What Terry says above about the front seat of a town car being "horribly tight" is absolutely right.

About 30 years ago we were on a national T club tour and a guy parked next to us at the motel with his town car. The front seat was so tight that he sat in the center of the front seat to drive the car. He wasn't a really heavy guy either, it's just that those front seats are really tight!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

I agree the maroon car in the second photo is a recreation of a town car. The rear door is too narrow and there is much too much room in the front seat area. The driver's seat should be quite a bit forward and tight to the steering wheel. I own a 13 towncar and it uses the 1909/10 short steering column and it's still a tight fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

It's pretty common on formal cars that the driver is a servant who gets no comfort at all. A fixed position, black leather seat, jammed up close to the steering wheel and the partition makes it worse. Meanwhile the passengers get a spacious cloth interior. Even the '72 Cadillac Limousine I once owned was like that which made it difficult to drive. Cadillac made them that way right up to 1984.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Charlie I have one more pic.
Terry you are correct I believe the owners made it taking the measurements from one other in the North island.
The 2nd pic is the only one I have of a genuine one which started life as a taxi on the west Coast of the South Island and has since been restored.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration