Old Photo - speedster in Kansas 1916

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - speedster in Kansas 1916
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 03:59 am:

Looks like a speedster built on an earlier chassis, the electric lights sits on forks and maybe there were hard rubber ends on the throttle and spark levers, so could be '12 or earlier?

I wonder what was in the second tank? T's doesn't need that much extra oil :-) Maybe it was a round tool box, since they do need tools from time to time..

kk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:47 am:

Maybe water?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 05:06 am:

I need a battery box like that one for my roadster!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 05:39 am:

GUIDE or SEEING eye dog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:15 am:

no nobs, flat levers, alum crank handle,fenders could be late 12 roadster , my eyes are not so good but it looks like 5 1/2" wheels on 6" hubs.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:31 am:

liquid corn storage tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Small tank could be gas to start the car and the large 1 has kerosene in it for running after warmed up.

That was the way my grandpal took grandmal to the beach back during the depression was with kerosene. Ration tickets was the reason for the kerosene,but she weren't grandmal untill after a few beach trips! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:47 am:

That dog's sayin' "Lets get 'er going dad, I need the wind in my face"!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Myers on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:31 am:

My father had a tractor made from a model T (doodle bug) and it also had two tanks. One was for gas and the other for kerosene. Start and warm the engine on gasoline then switch it over to kerosene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Has the style of radiator shell that fits over a stock Ford brass radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

I have a nice headlight bucket similar to those on the classifieds. It uses a rim just like the Ford buckets instead of hinges. In fact, as far as I can tell, the bucket itself looks identical to a Ford bucket, but I can't see any identification marks on it. Something might show up if it was sandblasted. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

Hey, I know that dog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

I see the Greyhound Speedster had two tanks. The ad says the smaller one was a "Polarine" tank.

Greyhound

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

http://oldautonews.com/polarine-motor-oil/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

i couldn't get the image to copy, but here's a related link:

http://oldautonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/socony-polarine19211.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

The Polarine tank intrigues me. Was there a line to the engine and you added oil by turning a valve or was there a petcock and you drew what you needed into a can or something then pour it into the engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Stutz Bearcat's and Mercer Raceabouts had split tanks with two matching filler caps. The smaller side of the tank held oil as I have heard. Presumably for racing. I built a tank like that for my Speedster but could never see why you would need to carry much extra oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 10:41 pm:

Another speedster with two tanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 06:13 am:

Gary,....great picture! And that is one strange looking radiator!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 06:17 am:

Actually, in looking at the photo a bit closer, it appears to be a stock brass radiator, but with an added wedge-shaped tank that probably adds a gallon or so to the cooling system, and also, due to the wedge shape, probably directs a bit more air downward for (hopefully) a bit of additional cooling. If that's the case, I'd say it's a pretty neat and unusual accessory!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:57 am:

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe an extra tank was sometimes used as a "spare." It allowed carrying more gas. It the main tank ran dry, you could switch to the smaller tank and keep going. Then you knew you had better stop at the next gas station.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Gary H White, that's the nicest looking Speedster I have ever seen. Any more photos of it?

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Warren, Sorry, no. I got the pic off "The Old Motor.Com." Note the lower right corner. Must of been a rough ride for the passenger. No padding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

I own the original of that photo. I have never seen another picture of the same car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Those smaller tanks are for engine oil. Racers used oil, and having a full supply was needed.

Likely hand pump control to put more oil in the motor as needed.

Polarine was famous brand of oil by Standard Oil,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:33 am:

The "S.A.E VIS NO.30" on the can would suggest the can is not from the Model T era. Probably the Model B era. (1933/34 or after) While Polarine existed in 1921, SAE standards for oil did not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Not to start the oil argument again but something else to note about the can. It indicates "Heavy" and SAE-30. While the old designations for oil included Light, Regular, Heavy and Extra Heavy, Ford recommended using Light oil for his Model T cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:17 am:

On an old original engine not known to be rebuilt is SAE 30 correct or ok for a T? That as what I was instructed to put in my model A when it had the worn out engine. Now with fresh over bore and high compression head and stainless valves and touring cam balanced resized rods and inserted bearings etc. I use 15-40 and it seems ok. I know it's opinions but surely someone knows what's best for a old beater T motor. I want it to live as long as possible. Btw it starts great no smoke or knocks!! thanks in and advance! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:42 am:

The Model A has an oil pump and a thicker oil line for the gravity part of the oil distribution so SAE 30 may work better in one of them than it does in a T. 15-40 is probably OK for a T most of the year in hot GA. I'm using 10w40 for mostly summertime driving in Sweden.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration