A question about 1912 B serial no. engines

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A question about 1912 B serial no. engines
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:59 am:

I have run across a Canadian early 1913 touring with a late 1912 B serial Number engine. I was under the impression the B blocks were used in American cars only, I'm I correct or were they used were ever needed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

I have a'12 Torpedo with a B numbered motor USA. In researching it I know at least one B engine was in Australia. I'm far from an expert but if one is in AU then it's possible one could be Canadian. Is the body a square door '13 or slab side '12? I'm interested as well in information. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

According to Frontenac Motor Company, under Ford of Canada.

Starting in 1913 ford began assigning serial numbers to Canadian built cars with a 'C' prefix.
There is also records indicating that a 'B' series of engines numbers were also assigned, these are engine numbers from B1 to B12247 oct1 1912 to sep30 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Hi Colin. There are quite a few B series engine blocks in Australia.

Andrew.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

My Haigh's Chocolate van has a 3 digit B number. The motor was assembled on 26 September 1912, according to the date stamped on the trans shaft.
As Andrew says, there are a few B series blocks in Australia.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

I have a 1912 B series block. It was my understanding all the B blocks were manufactured in 1912, although some were put in to 1913 model cars. Some were shipped to Canada, but a lot were shipping to Australia, New Zealand, some to Europe too. I found and printed off several pages of information on the B block series. I found it on a forum string. If you cannot find it, send me your e mail, though a pm if you want, I will send it to you. It has more information than anything I have found on the B engine series. It has the dates of most of the serial numbers on the pages. I think it is 12 or more pages of information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

The "B" engines were used by Ford during a time when they were adding to their facilities, and increasing production to a phenomenal rate. They were adding manufacturing facilities, moving offices, as well as changing designs and methods. This, in the USA as well as to the rest of the world. The "B" series engines were basically a "bookkeeping workaround" through several of those changes. Remember, even Canadian production used mostly USA serial numbers before 1911. They used modified USA castings for a few years even with the "C" serial numbers after the "B" serial numbers. Full Canadian casting wasn't until near the end of WWI.
Remember also, this was the time of the move to Highland Park, as well as the change to a moving assembly line in the USA as well as the changing to more and more Canadian actual production to reduce Canadian tariffs. Whew! The "B" series engines were used to work around all of those changes! No wonder they were showing up everywhere.
The "B" series engines did show up into early '13. When I started serious work on my "mostly '13" speedster some years ago, I had to check my Bruce's" book" to make sure about that. I was pleased to find that a "regular" serial number was appropriate for my car even with the earlier frame as I could "properly" use an engine I already had. Of course, silly me. Before my "mostly '13 speedster" was even finished? I went out and bought a late'12/early'13 runabout project pile (I sort of walked into it and the price was right!). I don't know if I will live long enough to get around to restoring it, but I guess this all means I still need to find a "B" series engine anyway. I do have another late'13 engine I could use, if I get that far.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

This car is a Canadian 13 it has a 13 body with 4 opening doors all 13 brass the only thing odd was the B block I have never seen one. Marvin Thank you I found the thread and I'm printing it how Thank you everybody for the information Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 03:34 am:

There are 10 "B" series engines that show up on the New Zealand Model T Register. Tourers and runabouts and one Torpedo. Rod McKenzie MTFCNZ Registrar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod McKenzie on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

To MG Millhouse: I have tried to contact you but the email bounced back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 02:19 am:

Rod, try Malory h at rfpco. cuknow what. Thanks would love to hear from you. MG

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration