Old "Never Out" Taillight Bracket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old "Never Out" Taillight Bracket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I removed the Tail/License Bracket from my car yesterday. It was painted grungy black, but had a few scratches where the metal looked like old brass. Sure enough, it failed the "magnet" test.
So I took it to the bead blaster at Farr's Racing and Rods and cleaned all of the paint off.
Walla! This is what I found:

Here is a closer view of the printing:

Please tell me anything you know about this old bracket. It is really neat to discover something like this on your car.

I will post a couple of more pictures of it.

Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Here are a couple more pictures:

Any information about this bracket appreciated.

Regards,
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Jon,
It may not be an original as they have been reproduced for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

Looks original. The repro is not as sharp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

If you look at old trade journals, Neverout advertised brackets in steel, polished aluminum and polished brass.

There are a lot of reproduction brass brackets floating around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Am on the fence, I think the originals had sharper castings. Originals also have combination hole for mounting and I have never seen a brass one that I was convinced was original. But what is of note is the stamping on the very right in Jon's top picture.
This is mine that I am convinced is original.

a

b

c

d

e

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

"Neverout" is supposedly an accessory that should make the tail light less likely to blow out.

Does it help? And if it does, why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

"Neverout" pertains to the brand of kerosene safety lamps for bicycles, carriages and eventually automobiles.

The accessory license plate brackets were probably introduced a little later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

This shows what was available in a 1979 catalog. Also a bracket I suspect to be a repro.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Here's some old advertisements

This earlier design of the adjustable length style for short or long license plates was offered in either aluminum, brass, or iron!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

I think Jon's is a repro. The lettering is muddy and washed out in places like the other repros.

I've never seen a brass one I thought was original either. I have a couple of original steel ones, one of which is brass plated steel (shown).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration