'27 Roadster dash light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: '27 Roadster dash light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

After reviewing the 2013 thread on this subject (http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/375045.html?1374253608) I gather there was no exact place to mount the dash light.

My car's dash had a hole to the right of the ignition switch/ammeter at the same height. I would like it to be higher as seen in other cars.

Were these dash lights installed by "eye" at the dealer or did they have a specific placement to aim for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

My '26 roadster had a crude hole for a dash light and I concluded that it was not stock so I plugged the hole. That was 40 years ago...I might reconsider installing a dash light if there is a proper location blessed by Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Since it was a dealer installed accessory I rather doubt that there is an "exact" location. I assume (dangerously on my part) a General area at the installers discretion. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

Just place it where you wish. Was accessory so dealer installed or the owner may have.

The '26-'27 dash lamp and cap is nickel plated. The earlier 1924 dash lamp was raven finished with raven cap.

The sedan has a bigger dash, so it could be placed easy, the open car dash for '26-'27 is a bit smaller, so you have to place it so the lamp won't hit the gas tank behind it.

1924-1925

Non-Ford accessory lamp on this dash

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

My '26 coupe had this original Ford accessory dash light above the instrument panel when I bought it in 1970. Its' position allows me to see both the instruments and the speedometer at night, with a slight adjustment of the bulb cover.
Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

According to the 1926 Fordex Sales Manual, a dash light was among the many things that were standard equipment in enclosed cars. Open cars did not get them, but they were available from dealer parts department for 60 cents (dealer installation extra or customer installed).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

I read some where that the dash light was wired in series with the tail light, so if the dash light was not working would indicate that the tail light was burned out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 05:51 am:

I have a '26 Tudor that I picked up pretty much in original condition a few years back. The dash light was located between the choke and ignition plate. It was wired to the hot side of the ignition. No connection to the tail light at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 09:12 am:

The dash light needs to be wired in parallel with the tail lamp. You don't need it in the day time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Or if your dash lamp has a switch, then wire it hot....

Nice to add some mood lighting when spooning in the night, you don't want the headlamps or tail lamp on, otherwise papa would see you in the driveway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Dan, that's some psychedelic dash light you have there!

My light is made in two pieces - the light itself fits into a socket which could provide power for an accessory light like a drop cord, so it surely needs more space than a Ford lamp. I sure am glad you pointed out that the light must be placed so it won't hit the gas tank on the open cars. I hadn't thought of that and would have drilled the hole it my freshly painted dash before installing it, probably to find the light hits the gas tank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:39 am:

So many dash lights are mounted in the wrong place. The one that is mounted correctly is in the last photo with the guy walking down the street. They were also available in 1925, and were mounted just to the right of the ammeter. I made a template from an original dashboard, so I could get it located in the correct place. I have a NOS dash light in the original box too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Larry

You may be right on the '25.

But the Improved Car coupes are seen with the dash lamp high above between the switch plate and the choke knob.

High above and between

Factory dealer photo of the time, high above and between :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Some more photos for adding ref. to this thread on dash lamps.

1926 Ford brochure photo showing accessory dash lamp for Improved Cars, note the caption "finished to match instruments", i.e. nickel plated.

Ford of Canada factory photo '26 coupe dash.

Late '26 Ford brochure with runabout dash photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Mine looks like the very first pic at the top on my 27 roadster/runabout.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

This is a pic of my dash but not sure if this is original to the bar or if the positioning is correct. Maybe someone can tell me if it's aftermarket or original. Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

Tim

The flange mount are aftermarket, Ford used a special short base design.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

Dan, I wondered and always wonder what's been changed or added over the years on these old cars. It doesn't put out near as much light a my model A but could be the bulb. Thanks for the info. This forum has a great wealth of knowledge. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 01:13 am:

Since they were an aftermarket accessory not installed in the factory and in most cases, installed by the dealer or authorized Ford shop technician, I think it was pretty much up to the customer and the installer as to where they wanted it on the dash, but I think the most logical place for it would have been above the instrument panel where it is needed the most to illuminate the ammeter at night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

Yes I can't see the amp at nights. I look on my A all the time too. Your right Jim you cant use it in that position at nights. When building my 26 its going over the amp gauge. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:59 am:

As I stated above, the 1926 Fordex Sales Manual used by dealers and salesman, showed pictures of each body style and listed the standard equipment installed at the factory on each body. The dash light was standard factory installed on every enclosed vehicle, but not installed on open cars, in the US, at least.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration