Rear Hub Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear Hub Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

Tried search in both IE and FF and it worked in neither so here goes.

If you do not have a hub removal tool, what trick can be used to remove the rear hubs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Try loosening the nut a little and drive it around the block a few times.

(What are IE And FF?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin C. Miller on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Before I had a hub removal tool, I would find a blunt piece of iron and catch the edge of the hub and tap on it while turning the wheel around. I tried prying a screwdriver between the hub and axle, I would pound on the lower parts of the wooden spokes, all poor ways of doing things, but they did work. You can sure get damage too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

John,

Google is your friend in this need.

Does this one help?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/472617.html?1408752732

If not, there are other options.

Good Luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

John

Your wire wheel hubs are easily removed with any good 2-jaw or 3-jaw gear puller, most can be had for less than $50.

That flange around the wire wheel hub is where you place the puller arms.

Ford made a special 2-jaw puller, but any good one, like Sears Craftsman 2-jaw has worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Friday, January 22, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

If it's a wire wheel hub then go to Autozone or Advance Auto and get a pitman arm puller. Then grind off the teeth on the inside to fit the hub behind the nose and presto! You're in business. (Also driving with the nut loose works too)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 05:54 am:

For wire wheel hubs, I just use a bearing puller on mine. Works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 06:33 am:

To see what I consider one of the best gear puller designs I've ever seen ("mho") google Posi Lock Gear Puller. The cage which tightens down over the jaws and keeps them from spreading is the real "plus" here! I bought mine at Sears, but I'm not sure that the Sears tool dept always stocks them.

John,....this is the one I have if you're still looking to borrow a puller,.....let me know,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Henry... "IE" is Internet Explorer, and "FF" is Firefox. Both are browsers, not search engines per se. Like Dave Dufault said, Google is your best friend. Ask.com is okay, but frankly, if Google doesn't have it, you don't need it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Sorry Guys.

Wood wheels. A couple of the club members have pullers so that is where I am going today.

Sincerely appreciate everyone's input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Ah ha! Thanks Tim. I use IE, FF and Google all the time. I just don't recall hearing the browsers referred to by the acronym.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:42 am:

I have had troubles with getting these wire wheels hubs off of the frame I bought but picked up a puller that looks like the one Seth has a pic of at the flea market for like $4. It worked for me. I didnt have the ability to drive it around the block because she is in pieces still. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

There are those 3 jaw hub pullers also. Remember to run a nut down even with the end of your axle to help prevent mushrooming the end. (for anyone new reading this)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

I am a new comer to the model T world i was always model A guy and still own and love them but these T models have to be preserved and driven,so that's my story. I still have tons of questions and appreciate the forum. I couldnt own or service my 2 t s if it were not for all of you guys wealth of knowledge. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration