OT Not so nice in some parts of the sunny South

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Not so nice in some parts of the sunny South
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 08:27 am:

Being a transferred YANKEE, some folks around here in North Carolina feel that I should like this mess. I DON'T. We have sleet and freezing rain (I don't know the difference) that attaches to trees and if the wind gets up, down they came. I lost about four trees, some about 100 ft tall, that fell across my neighbors path to his storage building. No real damage but a lot of clean up. If we had snow, I could push it off with the tractor and be done with it. Power has been out for 15 hours but the generator keeps the minimum circuits hot and the gas logs are enough to take the chill off. I hope you all are fairing as well. Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 08:49 am:

sleet = condensation (rain/precipitation) that falls from warm air (relative) thru colder air and freezes into ice (pellets) before landing. (will bounce off things that it hits...small hail).

Freezing rain = really cold rain that falls onto really cold (freezing) things and sticks to them like glue. Really dangerous - builds up on roads, trees, wires, other things and can cause tremendous damage.

Perhaps our resident weatherman can give a more scientific, detailed answer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Don't know who our resident weatherman is but Dave you pretty much nailed it. I agree with R.S., I'll take snow any day over the ice. He may be without power for days, depending on how quickly crews can get in and get at the damage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 09:01 am:

When I retired I made a vow to go someplace that the temp rarely goes below my age. So far Florida has fit the bill. BUT, I do feel your pain. Up north where I used to live, Two feet of snow in one day was common. Then there was the occasional ice storm. The one in March 1991 left me without power for 7 weeks and busted every power pole for 100 square miles. Now I only need to worry about tornados, hurricanes and fire ants!. Not sure which is worse. But on the other hand I did work on the wifes car yesterday in shorts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Any sinkholes in your area??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 09:08 am:

R.S. Freezing rain is no fun, Sleet does not cause many problems. Sleet comes down already frozen. It is like little bitty ice balls, very small and do not stick to the trees very much. Sleet can build up on the ground and cause slick conditions, but it has a rougher surface, and you can walk on sleet if careful. Freezing rain is a different animal. It comes down as liquid rain. When it touches anything on the ground or trees or power lines ect. it freezes. Freezing rain is extreamly slick. It is almost impossible to walk on or drive on. 1/4 inch of freezing rain is where the real problems begin. It will break power lines and take down trees or strip their limbs. 1/2 inch of freezing rain will break off trees and power poles will snap off. and roofs can collapse. Several years ago here in north Arkansas we had a little over 1/2 inch of freezing rain. It broke off over 22,000 power poles. That is not a typo. 22,000 poles is a lot of poles. We have 38 acres that were covered in old growth hickory, red and white oak, ash ect. It broke over 1/2 of the trees off about head high. We are talking about healthy trees 8 to 12 inches in diameter. We were without electricity for 11 days. we were lucky as we are on a main line that gets first attention. Some folks were without electricity for about 30 days. Most older "hillbillies" will have a months supply of food, and at least two heat sources. one heat source is always wood heat. Most of us also have a generator to keep the freezers going. I would like several feet of snow, way more than a 1/4 inch of freezing rain ....Hope you all are doing OK. and keep warm and safe ... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:48 am:

For once we have a nice sunny day here in west central Michigan. We're not without problems though. We had a storm several weeks ago that left a thick layer of ice covered with snow. Haven't had enough warm days to melt it off and my driveway still is a skating rink. The 300' drive to my barn/workshop has a slight uphill grade with a sidewise tilt down hill to my pond. I am almost out of propane and the delivery guy won't chance it. I couldn't blame him. I feel for you guys in the current weather mess. We've been there many times so we know what you're up against.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:55 am:

We are hoping to get some rain here today. It looks like the drought is finally over? I don't envy you Easterners!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Sacramento could be under eight feet of water and the alarmist whackos would be on the roof with their solar panels that don't work in the rain shouting the drought is NOT over!
Jerry Brown would be up in the rotunda of the Capitol building proclaiming this is why we need his twin tunnels, not more water storage facilities.
Hope all you guys out there will be OK. Wish we could take some of that water for you, we could use it out here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:23 am:

We had hail about a week ago. About the size of peas. It melted within 15 minutes. This last week has been sunny and warm. The first part of January was very wet here with some flooding due to non-functioning storm drains. No problem where we live. The important thing in California is to get a good snow pack in the Sierra Mountains, which seems to be above average for this time of year. If it continues until spring, we should be out of the drought. Anyway, our well still has water, so we personally haven't been affected by the drought or by the storms.

I'm sorry to read about your loss of trees. Good thing they didn't fall on your house or the Model T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:48 am:

It's a nice sunny 24 here in central Mi,with no fly's bug's or snakes! the wind turbines tell me the slight breeze is out of the north north east and a check will come soon!! There is still corn in the gravity box in the barn,and 40 bu in plastic garbage cans in the garage.I also have 1000 pound's of cherry pits!! Both generators are ready and i have fuel on hand!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

Geez, I'm glad it never gets much above zero around here. All that crappy weather would suck really bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

I'm not a weatherman, but we do have some experiences around here with sleet and freezing rain.
sleet is a state between rain and snow. It is normally seen at temperatures just about freezing.
In Danish we have two different words for freezing rain which are spelled almost the same.
The one is undercooled rain, where the raindrops are cooled below freezing (0 C) but does not freeze until it hits something. Then it freezes immidiately. It can cause all sorts of problems. On the road surface the road freezes faster than eventual salt can melt it. Cars are covered in sometimes centimeters of ice and powerlines may be cut as the ice pull the lines down to earth or trees shortcutting it or may snap the line due to the weight of the ice.
The other version is cold but not freezing rain that hit a surface, that are well below zero. The water will freeze but not as fast as with the above type. Normally salt on the road will keep up - at least to the extent it is not washed away - which can be addressed by more salt :-)
Snow also comes in (at least) 2 flawours: The wet type with large snowflakes as the smaller flakes colides on the way down and grow larger. This type is good for snowballs, snowmen etc. This is seen at temperatures around freezing.
The last one is the dry snow that fall when temperatures are well below freezing.
The latter type is best for skiing :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Sure glad I live in sunny Florida. Suppose to get down to 31 degrees tonight.
RDW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Larry in Lomita: We had a down pour here about7:30 to 8:00 and somebody really turned the spiget on and let it go for about 20 minutes and it was gone.. My front yard is a new lake except the are no fish to catch. In the few days it is supposed to get up in the middle 60's for about maybe 4 or 5 days, then the next wave of storms.
The paper weather say we are about 3 inches of rain ahead of last year. Shasta Lake is stlill 115.xx below full!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

There are parts of the sunny South that aren't very nice ,in August either. BTDT.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

We have 44 inches on the ground and it's still snowing hard here in West Virginia.. I live on a mountain and my driveway is 600 feet long - all up hill. Fortunately, the snowblower has track drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

45 degrees and sunny here in Panama City, FL.

Sweet for a transplant from Buffalo NY who has walked out the front door and climbed a snowdrift onto the roof more than once! ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Boy Erik, you sure it the nail on the head. Yes, we've had drought conditions here in Califunny for a while, but it's turned into a political football used to promote agendas, none of which seem to serve the interests of those of us who live north of the Tehachapi's. After all, 2/3 of California's population lives in the southern 1/3 of the state, so that's where the votes are regardless of fairness and good sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:46 am:

Henry's right, not to get to political here, but California's representatives were originally organized like the US Gov't. We had a house of reps, each one representing an identical number of voters, and a Senate with two representatives from each county. This gave the rural areas some voice over the populated areas, providing a needed balance of legislation. Then the US Supreme Court ruled, 'One man, one vote" and now the senate is also elected to represent a given number of voters, not a geographical area. So now S. Calif and the Bay Area decree what happens to everyone in the state. And folks wonder why N. California wants to secede and form the Great State of Jefferson. It would be simpler to get the Supreme Court to rethink their incorrect, IMHO, ruling that denies States' Rights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:43 am:

NH missed the big one this time!
I am in China (freezing my butt off) while my wife reports that she only got a dusting of snow and my daughter who lives about 50 miles south got a few inches.
I can't help laughing at the guys I used to work with that moved to North Carolina to get away from the New England snows when they retired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:06 am:

Here in central Delaware,We have 14 inches of snow on the level and some drifts higher from the storm yesterday. It is 18 degrees now.
The people who live at the shore had there hands full. They had the snow storm plus a full Moon high tide with the wind blowing. A lot of folks had a couple of feet of ocean water in their homes!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:13 am:

I just did two back to back hauls from Philly.

One to Indianapolis - the other to Waukon, IA.

Timed it to beat the bad weather ... :-)

Crossed the frozen Mississippi yesterday ....

Checked in yesterday afternoon to " Hotel Tom "
in Viroqua, WI where my @ss was immediately put to work cutting & stacking firewood

We will be doing the same for the next few days.

Nice to have hard work that needs to be done & a good friend to help out.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:02 am:

We are still 19 degrees here in north Georgia but the wind it still blowing and feels like 9. Another day to try to work in the shop already started the heater. Got get back to the grind starting tomorrow at work..Have a good day and don't freeze!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

I heard that o'Bama want to ban sleet and freezing rain for obvious health
risks to transgender Syrian refugees, but also wants to shut the Mississippi
River off during the winter to conserve water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 04:59 pm:

Hooray!!!!Power is on. We didn't too badly however. I had bought a dual fuel generator about a year and a half ago, (wife thought I was crazy), and kept the trickle charger on it all the time. I was able to use the propane from the big house tank and a safety electrical switch to start up power for all 120W circuits and shut down any 220W circuits. Had lights, heat from the gas logs/blower, and TV/computer. What more could I ask for?? If any are considering a generator for emergency service, look into dual fuel. As long as you don't use gasoline, you don't have to worry about it starting when you need it and you don't have to start it up every month or so. Just my .02. Dick C.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration