Weather cold and snow even in georgia

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Weather cold and snow even in georgia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

Wanted to be able to work on my T today but with air temp 27 and windchills at 10-15 degrees. I just wasn't prepared today also I didn't think we would have snow and ice. I bet I am not the only one that's gonna sit near the fireplace today!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

That is pretty cold for you. It is probably a moist cold too. Hang in there. Spring is on the way.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Ain't Global Warming a Bitch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Yeah, it's 19 headed up to 25 with a nice southern breeze today. I'm thinking I might go hoe the garden and pick potato bugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

I have really sent some wood thru the heater the past week.of course the wood is dry and several years old and burns quick.But I was able to piddle in the shop comfortable. What time I aint spent on the net here reading about seed starting and greenhouses and such and getting seeds off ebay.

Tater bugs! Aint no way you got enough tater bugs to pick off,they all came down here and took over my taters last year and it took several sprays of stuff to get rid of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Tim, I was at Fort Benning in 1973 when we got a bunch of snow. Around a foot I think. Nobody could drive in the stuff. I took a few buddies to town for lunch in my 1965 fastback Mustang. Cars all over the sides of the road. They just looked at me. A California guy in a Mustang having no problems at all. Enjoy the snow while you have it. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 06:11 pm:

Scott, that's really cool I was born in columbus at martin army hospital in 1963 at Ft. Benning. Dad finished up airborne training and was in vietnam a year or so later. He went back 2 times. I went to see my dad today in the snow and ice. The ice is the hassle. He was the one sitting by the fireplace talking to me bout my model T. Telling about his grandfathers 24 T as he remembers his rides in it!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Tim, Those of us who inhabit the near polar regions of the nation in the upper Midwest are always happy to share the joy of winter with the rest of you folks. However, don't hog all the snow. Please send some back north, because for some sick reason we like to play in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

I can send the ice back but the 3inches of snow will b gone by monday. We don't mind it here but roads are not properly treated except in towns. All the rest of us must figure it out and thats not cool because I bought a 26 roadster truck in NW Tn and the owner said the roads are not passable in a 2 wheel drive truck. So I will try again next week. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Yup,Global Warming! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Scott,
Some 30 years ago we had a snowstorm in Oroville. At that time I lived right "in town" but our area was without power for a few days (they had power 2 blocks north). I thought I'd drive up to the store, about 6 blocks away, and get some canned food we could eat. Stepped outside, there was about 6" of snow around, maybe! And before I could get to the car in the driveway, I watched a city bus come down the street, fishtailing all over the place. I walked back into the house and told Linda, "I'm not driving out there, these people don't know how to drive in snow!" Sheesh, wasn't even enough stuff to even think about chains, but not with those "flatlanders roaming around!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Yeah, David D, ain't Califunny fun?! We are in our eleventh winter in Grass Valley. When we decided to leave the Bay Area, I said I wanted to live where there was enough snow to love it, but not enough to hate it. I wish we got more snow than we do.
Now, my dad grew up where ice and snow was hard for months almost every year. He made sure I learned how to drive in it, even though we were in the Bay Area. What really surprises me (I use the word "surprises" loosely as really almost nothing stupid people do actually surprises me any more), is that people (thousands of people) that have lived here their whole lives CAN NOT drive in snow at all! I have seen two inches of snow shut the town down all day. A four inch snowfall can shut the entire town down for two days. The best time to go to the DMV is when it snows. They sent all the employees home except for one manager and two clerks, and I was the only customer in the building. Seriously, that was a four inch snow that day, and I probably saw all of twenty other cars being driven.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

When my youngest son was stationed at Camp Pendleton in 2009 I believe, they had a 2" snow that pretty much shut everything down for awhile. He had to drive all his buddies back from the hanger where they were working. By Noon, it was gone. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:34 pm:

One July we had a freak hailstorm that dropped about 2" of hail in a major intersection--the one I had to go through to get home. I crossed my fingers figuratively as I navigated around all the folks sliding around. I would have waited if I could have gotten off the road!
More recently we had a freak snowstorm that put about a half inch everywhere, except on 1/2 mile square area that got about 2 inches, and I found out that my Toyota pickup is WAY too light in the rear end to drive in the snow, as it would not make it up a small hill. If I lived in snow country, I would throw a couple of bad T engine blocks in the back! Heck, when it rains, I can't drive it up to my upper garage; it just slips in the mud going up the hill.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration