Widetrack survey

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Widetrack survey
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Several recent posts on the widetrack Model T made me wonder just how many are still out there, either currently running or in restoreable condition.

My 15 touring widetrack was bought from a farming family that have been in the area since the late 1800's.

If you have a widetrack, please post, so we can get a rough idea of how many are out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

I don't know if he will post cause I haven't seen him on here in forever, but I know there's a '15 Touring widetrack in Clinton, NC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Just bought a '16 widetrack touring this afternoon. That's was the reason for my earlier question. The T hasn't run in years but I think I can get it back on the road in time.
good bit of surface rust but I wanted a patina car anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

I don't have a wide track Ford, but like to tell car guys I have a Mopar wide track Buick. This drives people nuts who think wide track means Pontiac and Mopar means Chrysler. It's a wide track because of its southern tread, and a Mopar because, when it was built in 1912, Walter P. Chrysler was head of Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Very nice! Is it the color shift, or is the brass radiator nickel plated?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:24 am:

A friend in Fallbrook Ca. has a very nice 1915 wide track touring. Besides wider axles, the fenders are also wider.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:46 am:

There is or was a 15 widetrack here in Medford. It may have been sold out of the area as the owner had some serious health issues a couple of years ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:37 am:

1915 WT Roadster, I am 3rd owner. 1913 WT Roadster,
Very Early 1914(or late 1913) Roadster, I am the original owner.

Sold a 1915 WT Touring to a Gentleman in MS a few years ago.

Parts to made a couple more. Dan Hatch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:53 am:

Hey Dan, you must be at a record breaking age to be the original owner of a 1913/14 runabout? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Roger here is the story. I got the car from a Ford dealer in South Ga that closed. The story told to me was that the Dealership was started in 1913. This car was the first car they got from Ford. The Dealership owner never let the car be sold. It was on their showroom floor till I got it. So, to me that makes me the first and original owner. :-) Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 10:42 am:

That's a great story, funny to be able to say that when clueless people asks at some show :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:27 am:

John, I hope you are ready for some bad news.
That car is not a wide track. My sons looked at a so-called wide track in the Houston area. The fenders were wide track but the front and rear axles were not wide track. They feel sure that is the car you just bought. The car seemed to be assembled from mixed years of parts.
If you have a standard front axle to compare the car to, the extra 2 inches on each side is from the spring perch outward to the wheel. It is easy to spot if you know what you are looking at.
I have one complete wide track and another in pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Jesteadt - SE Florida on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Dan, that is a great story! Hope to see you in Luray.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Roger, ... don't laugh too hard. I have been asked more than once if I am the original owner of my TT !!!

I guess some bulbs don't burn so bright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Dan, Jay Leno got a '64 Chrysler turbine car directly from Chrysler a couple of years ago. He is listed as the original owner. I guess you can say the same!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Always appreciate new information from guys that have been in the hobby longer than me. A post above says the T I showed in the photo isn't a wide track. It really doesn't make any difference to me, however I went out to the garage, removed a tire so I could carefully measure center of rim to center of rim. I realize I have a cheap measuring tape but it does show 60 inches, center to center. Maybe you're thinking of another car Jeff looked at? Anyway, I sure do enjoy this forum. and I've learned a lot. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

I have a frame with axles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Woolf on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

text/html1911 Model T
1911 Model T.htm (194.9 k)

I have a 1911 wide track that is under restoration. The car came from the Ford Dealership in Dublin, Georgia. We have recently started it for the first time and we are now doing the final fitting of the firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:39 am:

Bob, thanks for the axle photo's. A wide track axle is easy to recognize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

Willie,

Your post got me thinking about the differences. Here are some photos of widetracks that really show the axles. It makes me wonder how the different axles can both show 60" center-to-center. Were there two types of widetrack axles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

More photos from old Forum posts...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Here is a photo of the front axle of a widetrack that was recently sold on the Forum for comparison. Could widetrack cars have different length springs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

There is a wide track at the Toyota Museum in Nagoya. I think I have a photo somewhere. I'll put it up if I can find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Mike,

I don't know much about the widetrack cars, but judging from the photos above, it doesn't look like longer front springs we're needed on the front axle. The additional length was added outboard of the spring perches.

The rears may be a different story. The mounting method of the rear springs may well have necessitated longer springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Willie, I'll have to admit you are correct on the earlier post that my "new" T isn't a wide track. I saw your note in the classifieds about measuring across the back wheels and it's 56 inches. I guess when I measured the front ones the car was at an angle and I missed it. As I've said before, the day is lost when you don't learn something new. Before this I didn't have a clue what a wide track was, now I know a little bit more than I did before. At least the top of the front fenders are 10 inches across. Maybe I can call the T a "wide fender" rather than a "wide track". Anyway, thanks for the lesson in "wide track" stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Henry,
You are right, the rear spring is longer than a regular T spring.
Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Have a 14 Wide Track touring. We've been on several AACA Vintage and Reliability Tours with it. Have a local friend who bought one at Charlotte NC at the Auto Fair swap meet several years ago. It was built within a month or so of mine. The second pic gives you a good feel for the extra wide fenders and the stance of it. I like the way it looks and rides.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

The drag link and tie rod are longer. The rear spring is longer as well as the rear radius rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Terry - That is a beautiful touring!!!! Thanks for posting the photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

8 widetracks.

If I've counted right (forum members who own one + wide tracks forum members are sure they know about)......it totals out to 8 widetrack model T's.

That's not a lot ... I wonder if there was a record of how many were made ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

I know of a 1911 Touring that is a original widetrack here in Washington state. Very first T I drove (And is waaayyy too pretty for some kid like myself to learn to drive in.) If I can find the pictures of it I'll post them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

Bud, a lot of people do not post here. I know of at least 5 wide tracks that friends own in the Houston area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

I'm not sure, but I think my son's '12 commercial roadster is a wide track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell R. on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Can somebody explain to me why wide track vehicles came into being???
Was there a wide track 4WD???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Russell: Wagons in the South were 60" thread so that a cotton bale would fit between the wheels. Therefore the roads were rutted and a 56" wide car would not stay in the ruts. Ford was not the only maker of Wide Track cars, but was the last I think. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Bud,
I remember you giving me a ride in your 15 a couple years ago.
I am still working on a 1909 Runabout Southern Widetrack among other things.

Robbie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Terry,You look good driving the 14. I've never seen your T before. Thanks for sharing it.
Pete Ratledge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

I have a 14 wide track touring. great car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 04:25 am:

Not many widetrack Ts in Califunny. There was a speedster being built a few years ago. But I don't know what became of it.
I met a fellow some years ago that had a 60 inch track Brush (1912 if I recall correctly). I saw the car. It looked pretty neat with those extra wide wooden axles!

John Mays, I am not sure what to make of your new T. BUT I LIKE IT! I had looked at the photos on the listing and wondered, but wasn't sure what I was looking at. If indeed the fenders are widetrack fenders? (And they look like it!) I would think you should consider making it a proper widetrack T. The most difficult part I think would be the front axle itself. If one of those could be gotten, I think anything else could be made or modified easily if not found.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Thanks for your post Wayne. The car was an hour from the house and for $750.00 I couldn't pass it up. The T is pretty much all there with an October '24 engine. When I looked at the T I didn't know what a wide track was, just wanted a project to mess with. There is a good bit of rust, however I wanted a patina T anyway. Willie informed me in a post above that it wasn't a wide track and, as I have said, the day is lost when you don't learn something new. Right now I'm removing the engine head. One more bolt to get loose. Being careful not to twist if off in the block. I have included a picture of Otis, our '14 Roadster pickup sitting in the church parking lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:16 am:

I never get tired of seeing pictures of Otis, still looking forward to seeing him on the cover of Vintage Ford with an article some day! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Wayne, I agree with you about John's car. He already has the fenders which is half the battle on converting to a wide track. Finding the front and rear axle may not be easy. The price may be a lot more than he paid for the car.
Chickasha might be a good place to start at and the classified section of this forum might turn up something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Thanks Mark. Otis is really a fun Model T. We've had the Model T for about a year and a half now and he runs great. Crank start, however about 2/3 of the time we get a "free start" after a prime and turn to battery. Ross put new Kevlar bands in a couple of months ago and that helped a lot. On November 20, 2015 the engine turned 102.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Since we are on the Wide Track subject.
Some years back I saw a 1917 wide track in Mississippi on a T tour. At the time I did not know any wide tracks were made after 1916. It had the curved wide track fenders on the front and rear of the car. A did a little research in the large Ford parts catalog and found these fenders listed.
A friend in Alabama has some of these fenders and I had a set made in California using my friends fenders as patterns. I think I have all the parts to complete the 1917 project but some health issues are sure slowing me up. (6 months of Chemo treatments)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 11:40 am:

I had the pleasure of viewing an original '13 wide track touring recently. It's the only one I've ever seen, and even has the '13 style lipped fenders. The car has been owned by the same family since the '40s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

We have a very good left side 1913-14 Rear Axle housing for sale, $200.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

John, the left side would be start but as you can see the total axle conversion will not be cheap. You would also need the right side, axles and gears.
Chaffin could probably help with some of the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Carpenter on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

There is at least one wide track in use in the UK!

jus sayin Ken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, January 28, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

My wife has a wide track...Oh you mean the car...never mind

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration