1926-27 vacuum wiper hose, what color ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926-27 vacuum wiper hose, what color ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

Does anyone know what color the hose for the vacuum wiper is supposed to be in 26-27 Improved models. I have found modern black hose , or red ribbed hose. I will be hooking up my wiper on the 27 Sport Touring soon ... Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Donnie, You can have any color you want, as long as it's black!

Sorry, I couldn't resist... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:19 am:

Now Keith, Us Improved Ford owners have a plethora of color choices. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 07:27 am:

Donnie

This older post has some good photos of the tubing.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/346440.html?1362885984

As for color, well..red hose was old fashion for the carbide generator hoses to pass gas, black is better for vacuum or air :-) Besides, the wiper hose color should be the same as Henry's favorite color!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:23 am:

Donnie,

There is no Ford specification for the color of the vacuum hose used for the automatic wiper, but the installation kit used by the dealer definitely included a roll of black rubber hose. This type of rubber hose has not changed since 1926, and you can still buy it from any car parts store, such as Pep Boys.

The 1928 Model A had an automatic wiper as standard equipment, and when it was a vacuum unit, the hose was fabric covered. Near as I can tell, such a fancy hose was never used on the Model T. The wiper motor was sold off-brand as the TRICO Junior, and examining NOS Junior kits confirms the use of plain, black rubber hose.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:27 am:

OK black it is ... I had never seen red hose used, but it was common to the era. So I thought I would ask ... There is a small chance the wiper will actually work. It was in great shape. But more than likely, it will still be a manual wiper. (they have a handle just in case) but it is one of the accessories that my 27 Sport Touring could have had. Thanks for the input

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Donnie,

Yes, making the Ford wiper work is a real challenge. I get the impression that they were very fragile at the time, and almost all of them were thrown away when they stopped working.

The main problem is that the vacuum chamber in which the paddle is pulled back and forth is made of pot metal, and it warps with age. The slightest vacuum leak due to an ill-fitting paddle is death for the wipe action.

There is one man in the world who can make a hopeless, junky Ford wiper work: Kent Jaquith. He is quite familiar with the very unique Ford valve mechanism, and he can straighten out and polish the inside of the vacuum chamber. His email is

Qajk38@bendbraodband.com

His address is 2633 SW Obsidian
Redmond, OR 97756

A Ford automatic wiper rebuilt by Jaquith is a joy to behold. It runs perfectly and reliably, and it's one of the most rare authentic Ford accessories you can find.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

James: I finally have three units together and operating. But I do not have high hopes for them staying that way. They were not very good when new, and did not last long. I do not think mine will keep working for very long either. But they may fool me. I hope to get one of them installed on the 27 Sport Touring soon ... :-) :-) Then we will see how long my work will last.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Donnie,

Please post photographs upon installation!

Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration