TT rear spring question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT rear spring question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

How many springs go on the rear end of a 25 TT ? I have two frames , one has 8 and one has 9 ( per side ) is there a standard ? I accidentally asked this question in the classifieds , thanks bob for pointing that out :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

I am guessing you mean, how many leaves in the spring set ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Yep , been a long day , posted in classifieds first , then posted here wrong !! I'm goin to bed !! Lol !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

I count 8 in my early 26 TT. Too lazy to go count them on the 25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, January 23, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

My '18 likewise has 8 leaves on each side. I bet if you look carefully at the 9 leaf spring pack you have one leaf will be identical to another. One of the identical two is undoubtedly an extra someone added for some reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 02:24 am:

It's been several years since I built my TT chassis, but the way the springs are mounted in the crossmember, there is no way an extra leaf could be added. I don't know now how many leaves it has, but it was a bit hard to get the NOS leaves I found squeezed in there. I had to rig up a spreader to open up the mount a bit so I could get them in. Maybe there was a different number of leaves in the earlier TT's vs. the later ones, I don't know. Never ran into that or heard of it either, but for sure doesn't mean they weren't made that way. Interesting question. Maybe we're learning something else new! Rich Chillingworth, have you run into this? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 10:48 am:

8 leaves in my 18 and 23 TT'S
3 leaves above above the clip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:16 am:

The top TT rear spring leaf is rather short and easy to miss if you're counting the leaves while they're installed in the frame. The Ford parts book lists 9 leaves as does the picture of the spring assembly. I'm pretty sure all years used the same spring count. As Dave Stroud pointed out, they fit snuggly in a clip riveted inside the rear cross member. The trick to installing the springs is to insert the bottom leaf last. It's beveled along the edge that slides into the clip, kind of like a chisel. Thus it spreads the clip open as you push it in.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:33 am:

Sure enough, Rich is correct. I just took a flashlight out to the truck so I could see all the way up into the cross member. There are 9. That top one is hard to see.

It's been 10-12 years since I had it apart. My memory isn't good enough to remember such a detail.....

Note that it is very possible that you do have a truck with 8 on each side. The top leaf (the smallest one) was prone to break. On my truck one was broken and the other was missing altogether.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

I had to do something of a contortionist's exercise to feel up in the crossmember,
as the truck is a little buried while I do some other work in the shop. Guess I did
not feel up in there far enough to catch the little dude on top !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

Henry is exactly right about that top leaf often being broken. The chalk line on #2 shows where the missing part of #1 should be. When you see the old photos of these trucks grossly overloaded, this is not a surprise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Yes it is 9 leaves. Here is a pic of the whole family:
TT spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

Actually, it has eighteen leaves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Thanks guys , all your help sure makes things easier , the frame that we removed the rear end from was really bad and there were many missing springs , when. counting the ones we had we got 8 and 9 on our other frames , assuming 9 on both now :-) , we have a stack of springs and now thanks to you guys we now know that we have a complete set to put under the 25 . Thanks again , and maybe someday I'll be able to have " the answers " to somebody else's questions :-) , thanks again !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

All we ask is that you tease us with photos as you move along with the project. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Front springs rebuilt and in , tears awaiting placement , hopefully later today :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration