26-27 roadster vacuum wiper

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26-27 roadster vacuum wiper
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:29 am:

I have a manual wiper on my 27 but want a vacuum wiper and need to know what to look for, brand and I need a pics of what a correct one looks like. I had to find a trico and have it built for my 30 coupe. Thanks in advance for any pics or info. I am going to look in Moultrie and chikasaw but want to make sure I am not wasting money on none T parts..Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:46 am:

There have been some on ebay recently. They are made by Trico, and have a round plate on them. There is an open car, and closed car version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:51 am:

Larry thanks,,i,need the motor for the open car but don't have a picture for reference. I figure if I can see a correct unit I will look on eBay and the up coming meets. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Tim, Here is a link that has some photos and info. The easy way to tell a Model T wiper from Model A and other Trico wipers is the nameplate. Model T wipers have a round name plate with Ford on it. Larry I just bought the ones on e-bay. They were rough junkers for parts, but I was able to get a open car and a closed car wiper built out of what I had and the e-bay parts. Tim, the vacuum wipers are very hard to get to work again. You have maybe a 50/50 chance of them working again. and they usually do not work long. They are very tempramental little animals. But they do have a manual handle to use as a manual wiper. The only difference in the open car wipers and the closed car wipers, is the length of the shaft and the little L-shaped bracket to keep the motor from rotating is different on open/closed cars. The open cars have a shorter shaft than the closed cars. I have read that the nameplate was nickel plated on the closed cars and brass on the open cars, But I am not totally convinced of that. I just think the nickel plate was worn off of the ones believed to be brass. One last note, beware of wipers on e-bay advertised as Model T wipers. Most are Model A and not T. Just look for the round name plate. Have fun and be safe..... Donnie Brown

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/82668.html?1261004455

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Donnie.

I can confirm that the closed car wiper has a polished brass name plate, and the open car has a nickel plated nameplate. The brass plate is definitely not a plated nameplate with the plating polished off. Both plates have the writing and decoration in black, with the brass etched to a depth of about 0.001 inches. The etching mask is black, and it forms the writing.

The reason for this difference is not clear. As you point out, the closed car shaft is longer to accommodate the unusually robust windshield frame, and the clip is different. The clip, which is the only thing that keeps the wiper motor from rotating instead of the wiper, is different for the two types of body. The closed car clip fits on the bottom of the frame, and the open car clip rides over the top of the frame.

Jim

TRICO-Ford wiper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

James, Thanks for the information. Seems strange that Ford (or Trico) would go to the trouble of two different name plates. But the plate you show above with the black mask still there on the letters does show a nice brass background. I have 3 of the nameplates and I have not figured out a good way to re-do the letters. I usually just polish them a little with steel wool and clear coat them with spar varnish. They usually look pretty nice, but not that "new look" I do know one thing. For what it costs to get one of these wipers found and fixed, to put on a car. I feel like I need an armed guard watching my car . :-) :-) :-) I finally have three working wipers. One closed car (for a future use) and two more for my 2 open cars. It has taken me about 3 years to finally get enough good parts to build them. The E-Bay auction was the final parts. I had to give 106.00 for three very poor old wiper units. They were incomplete, and all three housings were broken. But by taking a chance, and seeing one name plate, I finally had enough parts. So I have 106.00 (plus shipping) in a shaft and a name plate. And I was happy to find them. I believe these wipers are possibly the rarest accessory for a Model T. Tim, just for reference a unit that is complete but unknown condition usually sells in the 250.00 to 350.00 range. Junk broken carcasses are about 75.00 up. A nameplate will easily bring 100.00 and a working unit (if you were lucky enough to find one for sale) is about 600.00 to 1000.00 These are very general prices, and I am very far from a "Model T wiper expert" but I have found that to be the somewhat normal pricing (if there is a normal price) Good luck in your search. I do have a few misc parts for the wipers. Very few parts, but if you need something let me know.... good luck in your search ... Donnie Brown .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

Donnie,

You are quite correct - the wiper is not an inexpensive add-on for your Improved Car. Another very nice accessory that isn't cheap is the Stuart 490 speedometer with the "silent drive" on the front wheel. I am careful not to total up what these items cost me, as it would mar the enjoyment.

I sought the TRICO-Ford wiper for my tudor for 45 years with no success, until eBay opened up. With eBay, anything is possible.

Now, I'm working on the last authentic Ford accessories for the Improved Car - the Ford (Burd-Gilmer) shock absorbers! (They were never referred to as "snubbers" by Ford.) I have one complete set, and I'm working on the restoration.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Donnie & james perfect with the pics. This shows me what I am looking for and the ford emblem on the front will be just right. I bought a trico for a A model from a ebayer and after putting gaskets and all in it only would cycle half way. So I pulled it off and sent it to a man out in the northwest and he resurfaces all the small parts and had original gaskets to repair it with. It works like a new one should and it looks like straight out of the box. But your check book will suffer. So I will try build another one again. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

James, I probably will not bid on them, as I am trying to save up for an overhead for the speedster project, so the budget is shot to pieces already .. :-(, and I will probably regret not buying them later. But you are correct about "with e-bay, anything is possible" so here is a link to a current e-bay auction. Its the only set of Ford script accessory shocks I have ever seen for sale ... This is another rare one, probably as bad as finding a good vacuum wiper...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201510714992?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:54 am:

Donnie,

Yes. It's about as bad as finding a pristine wiper!

It is a complete front shock. Looks like it has been painted, mounted on a car, then removed and put on sale. I have one complete NOS front shock. In uninstalled condition, It has an E-shaped lock on the stranded steel cable, holding it pulled out a few inches to make installation easy. The cable-end is not painted, as this one is.

The rear shock is only a fragment. There is more than half of it missing. There are actually two different rear shocks - one for the touring car and one for every other car. The difference is in the distance above the differential of the shock-reel. It's not clear why the touring car mounting is different. I get the impression that a deep well under the back seat was planned, for storage, and this would have gotten in the way of the usual mounting bracket. There's still a lot to be learned about the Ford/Bud-Gilmer shock absorbers.

I have one each touring car and other car rear shock, and I am studying them and collecting documents. (Ebay is also good for collecting esoteric documents!) I hope to have them working and installed this year, but first I have to build a bench-top test fixture to adjust the recoil mechanism.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

I have a non-operational vacuum wiper in my sedan, and a spare with a bad faceplate - at some time I plan on having one good one made from the two, but other projects have kept me from doing this.

As for the "shocks" on T-Bay, it looks like one single front and a couple of pieces of a second - way too much missing there... I had a pair on the sedan, but the front cable was fraying and I don't know where I could get it repaired or replaced. The rear is still on the car.

If anyone knows of a place that could repair the cable please let me know. I'd love to get it back on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration