Wood Spoke Rim Cleaning With Spokes On....just an idea.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wood Spoke Rim Cleaning With Spokes On....just an idea.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 10:46 am:

I found this to work pretty doggy gone good. It requires a cheap Harbor Freight Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool. It also requires self adhesive heavy grit sanding disc and a flat plunge blade. Cut the self stick paper to fit the bottom side of the blade. This will get the entire area between the spokes and tight to the spokes without any damage to the wood. It cleans it fast and also gets rid of the rust underneath the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Can you tell me how it works because I was going out to start trying to strip the first one in just a few minutes but I am just 30 min from HF could hold up n get it tomorrow. What was the cost of the tool ur using? And what is it called the tool??? Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

Can you tell me how it works because I was going outcto start trying tocstrip the first one in just a few minutes but I am just 30 min from HF could hold up n get it tomorrow. What was the cost of the tool ur using? Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

HI Tim, it works great I think. The tool was about $20.00 at the time I bought it. Either way the tool is a very handy one to have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/oscillating-tools/oscillating-multi-too l-62279.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 10:59 pm:

You can also wrap the spokes with duct tape and sandblast the felloes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 12:20 am:

Don,Your right about handy!! I have had one for years after doing a flooring job.Great for cutting in places where nothing else will work!! See you Sunday? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:09 am:

Morning Bud, yup I'm planning on being there. I hope the Model T stuff shows up. Many small parts needed for this 26 Tudor I'm working on. See you there !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Don, i am gonna buy one when I go to work today. Thanks for the info. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:38 am:

I think you will find it works great. My rims had 8 decades of slopped up paint on them. This took all of about 15-20 minutes to clean the rims up. Don't forget to get a course self adhesive sand paper for it. Let me know what your experience is on this Tim. Enjoy !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:03 am:

I also use duct tape, blast and ready for epoxy primer and paint. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

Don, Stopped and picked one up and had self stick course paper at home. I will try it this weekend and let you know how i did. This is one of those 75 hour work weeks i will be burned out by the time i get home at nights mon - fri. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration