Consensus sought for color of coolant pipe on 26/27 engine.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Consensus sought for color of coolant pipe on 26/27 engine.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Title says it all. Can't find the lower coolant pipe on the engine painting list that has been posted on numberous threads.

As I am painting the block the moleskin green, would the pipe be green as well?
Black? I have even seen some painted or left brass colored.

What's the acceptable color for this part? The radiator hose will be OE red and I certainly don't want to clash.

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:34 am:

The original hoses were black rubber. The pipe was steel, painted black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Here's a December 1927 photo taken at the HP assembly plant that shows the other side of the engine. I know this is not the shot you would like to see, but it shows some other engine details that may be of value.

This is the cutaway 1927 engine at the Henry Ford. It is a 1927 engine, showing which parts were black and which were moleskin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Royce
Your picture appears to show what is likely red rubber hose. Certainly not black
All the original water pipes I have seen are rust coloured. No evidence of paint at all. This is not to say they weren't painted originally, and black would be reasonable and certainly looks nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

I don't know if this will help but for the Model A all cast parts (engine and transmission) were painted engine color and all the steel parts along with the starter, generator, distributor, lower water tube, fan and carb were black. Except for the improved cars transmission cover this may have been a carry over of what they did for the T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

I think the photo shows the hoses are flat, and do not reflect light as well as the glossy black radiator tank for example.

Colors are not something you can see in a black and white photo. My best guess on the original T water hoses remains black, regardless of what anyone thinks they see in this non - color photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

The vendors sell thesep pipes in shiney brass and painted gloss black. I have seen some restoration photos of both shiney brass and painted, wither black or green.

Was there a time frame where this pipe would have been left brass? Brass era? Same time frame as brass radiators? Or were they always painted some color regardless of the era?k

I know it will be Model T salad, but I will have a brass radiator with this 26/27 engine. The final product will be a military rebuild of a 1916 Model T with a 26/27 engine and hogshead installed. I'm leaning towards some sort of flat paint with it being a military rebuild. Either flat black or flat olive drab green to match the body and frame color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

Just took a look at the original one off the 26/27 engine. Appears to be steel underneath the gloss black paint. No brass on this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

I don't know about original colors, but a brass tube will last a lot longer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration