Back Home Again - Model T Reunion :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Back Home Again - Model T Reunion :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Traveling the country for me is just so much more than hauling cars - it always has been.

From time to time - certain stories stand out and I post a thread to share here ...

Well - recently I was contacted about a Model T I hauled last August by the family of the past owner.

It resulted in a very happy reunion .... :-)

Original story here:

@ http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/561909.html

Follow up story:

" This is the story of unbelievable stars aligning, and a higher power making those stars align!

My Papa was an absolute one-of-a-kind, and in his honor & memory we will drive again!

I promise it will NEVER leave this family!

He is smiling down from heaven. "

Heather Berndt

" Here's where the story gets crazy, our daughter Jaime in Arizona is Goggleing her grandfathers name last Monday night
and up pops a story about my Dad's model t that a guy went to Billings , Montana and hauled back to Northern Minnesota
to the man who bought it from Craigs List!!!!

I was physically sick to my stomach as were my girls.

So now we are scrambling to find out who bought it.

Thankfull for the internet we made contact with the man who purchased it and it was still in tact.

Our other daughter Heather went to see it today to make sure it was her Papa's and bought it back.

The gentleman only charged her what it cost him to get it back to MN and what he had to pay for it.

He said the story of the car and it's journey home was more important than the price.

God Bless this man and the man who hauled it back for his story about the model t.

To my Dad for watching over us and guiding us we know he had something to do with it.

Thanks for reading our story and know you cannot make this stuff up trust me.

Love to all "

Deb Fortwengler

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

Pretty neat story huh !!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

Jim,
This appears to be a great story, but, maybe I'm dense--I can't seem to put all the pieces together. How about posting a time-line or something showing the progression of owners?
Sometimes I think these "inanimate objects" do have a life of their own. I know my '16 touring has had amazing missing parts just show up; I think it wants to be put back together!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:21 am:

David,

Click on the link ...

Hi Mike !

Interesting how things turned out regarding this particular T
don't you think ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:35 am:

Jim, it is a bit confusing, read all of the posts together. Great story though. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:10 am:

Sounds like Grandma sold Grandpa's Model T without the kids or grandkids knowing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:05 am:

For those interested:

Click on this link to read the original thread from August of 2015:

@ http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/561909.html

Family member(s) contacted me based on this story,
I was contacted by (3) separate folks within a short period of time last week.

I put them in touch with who bought the car - Mike Peterson ... :-)

The third photo down in the first post shows Mike pulling the Model T with flat tires off my trailer with his Bobcat ...

This quote references Mike Peterson - a well known & respected memberr here on the forum:

" Thankfull for the internet we made contact with the man who purchased it and it was still in tact.

Our other daughter Heather went to see it today to make sure it was her Papa's and bought it back.

The gentleman only charged her what it cost him to get it back to MN and what he had to pay for it. "

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Jim,
I did read the link, the first time you posted it, and when you posted this one. So, to be clear, is Justin's posting (Grandma sold the car without the kids knowing) correct?
Such things do happen, especially with older, grieving survivors. ("Oh, no one in the family wants this old thing and I don't want the memories around" is a typical thought) No slight meant to the original seller; I've seen such things happen a lot; I've also seen "No one wants this junk!" and off to the dump stuff goes. My lathe came from such an estate sale, being handled by the 70-plus year-old sons. I took as much stuff out of the dumpster as the stuff I bought--Priming cups, early automotive reference books, etc.--and I didn't even dig deep into the dumpster; didn't have time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Mike Peterson, selling that car back to the family instead of parting it out was a standup thing to do. I know you missed out on making a few bucks on it but, knowing it went back to where it belongs, warms my heart. Karma will be in your corner with this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

David,

Only the parties involved know the truth about how & why the Model T left Minnesota.

I asked Mike for permission to post the story of this Model T when I dropped it off - if he had not agreed the family would not have known where it went.

Amazingly - Mike Peterson lives only 60 miles or so from New Ulm, MN where the Grandfather & this Model T spent most of its' latter years ...

Only Mike knows why this Model T was still intact
when the family contacted him.

Kudos to him for selling it back to the family !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

I agree that it was most gracious of Mike to sell it back to the family for what he had into it. And it's great that the family cared enough to find it and (re)purchase it.
So, in brief, do I have this right (just for curiosity's sake): It went from the estate executor's (that should hide identities fairly!) to Mike & from Mike to the deceased's kids & grand-kids? And all because one of the grand-kid's goggled her grandpas name & the original thread popped up. That's really neat!
In our family, we have one that "got away"; my Dad's 1936 Dodge Brothers ton & 1/2 plumbers truck that he used to build the family resort. Back when we thought the resort was going to be sold, my brother (with the family's permission, including mine) sold the truck. We kept up with it for a while, but lost track of it, and my brother still has the resort and we sorta wish we still had the truck. OTOH, if we still had it it would likely be sitting outside rotting away (although at the time I was keeping it inside an old building).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

David,

Richard Carlson Jr. was the son of the owner & came from Billings, MT to MN to pick it up.

He had intentions on restoring it - put it up on jack stands in the garage - pulled the fenders - started on removing the paint ...

He had a premonition of sorts - knew he would not finish the car - put it up for sale - found a buyer ...

Richard Carlson Jr. died at age 57 on July 8th, 2015.

He sold the car to Mike in Minnesota before he passed away ...

A relative searching out the car came upon the thread I started in August of last year.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Jim, OK, think it is finally correct in my dense head, an amazing story.
So, Richard SR buys this coupe in around 1946 to get back & forth to work. He keeps the car through his live & passes on, and Richard JR. picks up the car to restore it, but sells it just before he dies to Mike (perhaps he didn't want to burden the family with "this old thing"). You deliver it to Mike, and tell him the story; maybe this influences Mike to not part it out right away--only Mikey knows! Richard Sr's granddaughter, from another offspring, reads your original posting and tells Mom (who, I am assuming, is Richard Sr's daughter). They manage, with your help & Mike's graciousness, to contact Mike & buy back their Dad/Gran-dad's car. And it's now back in the family to be restored and be passed on to future generations.
Whew!! There are so many "if onlys" in this story that it really is a miracle! I hope we have a new forum member out of this! And thank you for posting "the rest of the story" This would likely make a great magazine article (hint, hint!). :-)
It does make me wonder what may happen to my Model A that has basically been in the family since 1946 when the original owner's wife started a small cafe on the resort property and it sat behind the Cafe most of the time (I am the second owner). It shows up in the background of many family photos. So far, none of the nieces or nephews show any interest in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

I encouraged the family to purchase whatever parts might be needed from Mike & perhaps even ask if he might get the T running if he was inclined to do so.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Heather Berndt on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

Let me CLARIFY.....
My Grandfather died in 2000. The car was WILLED to my Uncle (Rick). He left it in my grandmothers garage until 6/2014 when he said he was taking it to restore it. Per my grandfather's will it was to go to Rick, then his son Chad (grandson), then My son Dalton (great grandson), but ULTIMATELY it was never to be sold! My Uncle had other ideas & put it for sale in march/april 2015 without asking Chad or myself (for my son). The sale was finalized end June/early July 2015 & my Uncle died as a result of complications from an accident he had 5/2015 (after he put it for sale). Mike lives about 260 miles north of New Ulm, MN where the car had been since the late 1950's with my grandparents.
Mike & Jim have been Saints in this process & we cannot THANK THEM ENOUGH! The car will drive again- I promise, and my papa (grandpa) will be on the dash (photo) riding along!
Heather

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Heather Berndt on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

BTW all... once done, I do plan on forwarding the story to Ford & ?? other places with pictures. This story is so amazing it is unbelievable, even to me who has lived it! My Papa was an incredible man....I was the granddaughter (along with my sister) who grew up only blocks away. Cancer ripped him from us way too early! My son Dalton (his great grandson) is now 17, they were extremely close to each other. It will someday be his.....for now it will be safe & the heirloom it needs to be!

Richard Carlson SR & Barb Carlson-
Had 4 children
Debra (my Mom), Kathy (who Died in 2002), Rick (died 2015), & Tricia
Had Grandchildren
Me (Heather), Brandy (died at 6 mo), Jaime, Cortney, Chad, Trinity, Trellany
Had Great Grandchildren
Dalton & Paige (both Mine)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Heather,
Welcome to the forum!! You will find the forum is as much of a miracle as your family getting the car back, it's full of people who will help you just out of the love they have for Model Ts. So, if you need anything, just ask!! (Even if it's a motor for a 2002 Honda, believe it or not!)
And Thank You for listing the "rest of the story." I am amazed that I had it mostly right! That it ended up so close to where it "started" is also amazing.
BTW, These cars seem to live a 'charmed' life; I have a somewhat similar story about Part of my Model A. I am the second owner, and the car had been on the family resort since '46. My Mom remembers seeing Mr. Green drive in one day, probably about 1950 with a new top on the car, but the fancy Landau irons that had been on the car since new were no longer there, which she though made the car look less 'classy.' OK, Mr Green dies in 1954, when I'm a year old & the car sits beside Mrs. Green's trailer, sinking into the ground. I use the front fenders as a slide when I'm about 4. About 1963 my brothers decide to "fix up" Mrs. Greens old car for her & they put it in a garage and take it apart. Mrs. Green gets sick and dies shortly thereafter and the only thing she "takes car of" is turning the title of the car to my Dad (who, sadly turns in the original pink slip when he applies for the new title--even he told me, "why didn't I just tell them it was lost?" My Brothers graduate from High School and to off to college; I'm in 8th grade, and the project becomes mine. I am able to drive it, in primer and no top/upholstery to my high school graduation (three years later I finished the restoration).
Back to those landau irons, missing since 1950. I'm visiting my Aunt & Uncle, who live 100 miles away, and go to their neighbor's to look at their restored Model A so I can figure out how to put mine back together and they have a visitor from a town 50 miles from mine. I mention the lack of the irons and he says, "I have a pair, and one of my trucks is going by your house next week, I'll have him drop them off! Well, these irons are peculiar to the Model A, so I didn't hold much hope, but sure enough a guy drives in and says, "I'm supposed to leave these with you," Believe it or not, the rust pattern on the irons matched my car and the missing mounting hardware matched! I really think they are the originals, come back.
So, while it's not a complete car story, it is another example of things lining up somehow. Angels watching over us or ??
Oh, and if any kid slid down the fenders now, I'd "box his ears!" :-) and now I've owned the car longer than the original owner, and it's been restored longer than it was unrestored. Where did all this time go??? It really did influence my life too; I made a living as a restorer for 25 years before I became a museum curator.
So, enjoy life in the Model T world; hope you have as much fun as many of us do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Heather Berndt on Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Thank you all! We certainly are new members to this forum, but will certainly be using your advice & expertise as we move forward with papa's project to ride again! Thank you David for your story. It is amazing how these things happen!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration