Can't put air in tire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Can't put air in tire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

What could go wrong with a valve stem? Looks simple enough. I've got a metal stem tube from 94 or 95 and I can't get air to go in it. When you remove the valve core air doesn't come out either. Stick a wire in it and it stops where the stem joins the tube. What could be wrong there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

You wouldn't by any chance have those balancing beads in your tubes would you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

No beads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Corey,I have never heard of such of a thing!!! I would try some PB Blaster (penetrating catalyst) in the valve stem and let it soak. Then try it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Some of the import tubes have some rubber flashing from manufacture in the stem, if you are careful you can take a small drill bit and ream out the stem using a small hand held chuck. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

You haven't at some time put Green Slime or some other stop leak in it before have you? If the tire has air in it you can remove the "valve core" then with your air house attached to an air jet see if that will clear it. If that doesn't work use weedeater line to probe with a little force using some needle nose pliers to add force without the same amount of fear in puncturing the tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, January 24, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

Not all air chucks are the same. I have come across several cases that the needle in the chuck would not depress the needle in the valve core. Try a different chuck and worked fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 07:28 am:

My first thought when reading this was the same as Mark Gregush. Some of the import air chucks don't work right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:31 am:

Yep, same thing happened to me...air chuck issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Corey said in his original post that he removed the valve core and air still won't go in or out, so the air chuck can't be the only issue. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:09 am:

And a wire inserted into the empty stem..."and it stops where the stem joins the tube"

Something has plugged the stem???

Corey, have you always had possession of the tube? Do you know if perhaps a former "caretaker" of the auto put "slime" or some other substance in the tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Get an ice pick and carefully try to poke it through. After much head scratching and doing this and that eventually you will may have to do this or something like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Some of the el - cheapo Air Chucks don't work well on vintage tire valve stems. You probably need to step up to a USA made chuck. Home Depot has good ones, Harbor freight has the Chinese made cheapies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Understand that the there may be blockage in the stem, the info about the chuck is for other people reading this that may have the same problem. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

I've had that tube since 94 or 95, no slime, balacing beads or patches. I tried to poke a hole with a wire but I don't know what I'd be puncturing. I got it to take air slowly and think I got enough in there. A gauge wont work because air won't come out even without the valve core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Corey,

"I tried to poke a hole with a wire but I don't know what I'd be puncturing."

Unless you put in a long drill that reaches across to the other side of the tube, anything you would be puncturing needs to be punctured.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Corey: Had the same problem with a tube of about the same era. I ran small drill bit down it and that fixed it. Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration